Forum Home Forum Home > Denimbro > Denimbro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CSL's Osaka Trip

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (17) Thanks(17)   Quote CSL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CSL's Osaka Trip
    Posted: 28 Apr 2016 at 5:53pm
A couple of days ago I got back from a week long visit to Osaka where I played some concerts with a group called Fay’s Jazz Vipers.

We were invited there as guests of a local band called the New Orleans Rascals (we tend to call them the Osaka Rascals for obvious reasons). The Rascals formed in 1961 &  met Mike Fay (the leader of our group) in 1963.

But why am I talking about jazz on a clothing forum? Of course the added bonus of this trip was the opportunity to do some serious denim & workwear shopping at the source so to speak.

One of my colleagues in the band was interested in seeing the stores & since he had installed a Japanese sim card in his phone we were able to navigate relatively successfully. That being said, our first outing started out as a bust. In addition to suggestions from Hollows I had found a map online showing the locations of many relevant stores. According to that map a Full Count store was closest to our hotel which was the Hearton btw. This turned out to be a wild goose chase in the rain. At the address we navigated to there was no sign of the store. We walked around the block but no luck & I can only assume that Full Count location had closed or moved. So next we decided to head over to McFly. I had looked at their website many times & despite the fact that there didn’t appear to be many larger sizes in their stock list I was still hot to go there. Sadly when we got there they were closed.

A small consolation was that on the way we accidentally found the Flat Head store. Aware that the cut of their garments tends to be more modern than suits me I still enjoyed seeing the store & did buy a nice wabash engineer cap.

From there, with the aid of my friend’s trusty iPhone, we headed to the Real McCoys & it was here that we truly hit the jackpot! Of course I was somewhat familiar with Real McCoys/Joe McCoy but had never seen any of their garments in the flesh. I should tell you all up front that no photography was allowed other that the store front & outside window display. Frustrating, I know…I expect they have to be on guard for rip off artists. Let me attempt to draw a verbal picture. About half of the store was dedicated to military clothing; tanker jackets, A2 leathers, etc. In the middle of this section were various undershirts & t-shirts. The remaining space was divided into three areas one of which contained workwear & jeans & one dedicated to motorcycle leathers, boots, printed t-shirts & Browns Beach jackets & vests. The remaining area roughly in the middle of the store had plaid shirts & denim jackets. I’m probably missing something but that’s what I remember right now. Possiby I should mention they have excellent dressing rooms & the staff provide top notch service. Needless to say, I was quite in awe of the place & returned another two times before I was done…The proverbial trigger was pulled on a number of items.

We had a pretty full schedule with the music group so there was not a ton of time to hunt down more stores but since I & my friend both wanted to return to Real McCoys I suggested a side trip to a Warehouse store that was close by. This shop was very small. They had hardly anything in larger sizes but I tried on a few things just because. Warehouse makes a cool duck pant that I had liked the look of online. They did have my size (36) but they turned out to be a bit too tight & low waisted for me. The one item I would have bought if they’d had my size were the Copper King jeans. I tried on a 34 just to get an idea of the look & found I liked them quite a lot. I will likely be searching for a 36 on the internet at some point. I did ask the salesperson about a second Warehouse location shown on the afore mentioned map but he said it was now closed down.

My goal on our last day (before our musical obligations began in the evening) was to visit the Samurai store which lay a little North of Osaka proper & would have required a short subway ride. Sadly it didn’t happen. A couple of things got in the way, on being that I thought I had lost my phone. After wracking my brain, emptying my bag in a panic & then repacking it I realized the maid (or whatever the male equivalent of that is) had made the bed over my phone…I was relieved but frustrated at the time that had been wasted. My friend returned from a gift buying trip for his kids & we headed back to McFly hoping it would be open this time. It was.

Having pre examined their stock list online I knew they didn’t have a ton of stuff in my size but frankly at that point I was hoping to avoid any major temptation. I tried on a couple of early Freewheelers items that I knew would likely be too small but I still wanted to get an idea of the look. I was interested in the new Welders Pants. Knowing that they run big I tried on a size 34 & found they fit fine. However I wasn’t bowled over by how they looked on me to I left them. Don’t get me wrong. Super nice pant for the right person. They had a couple of other pants in my size. I tried on some Derrickman Overalls in green. Not bad. I didn’t buy them. Finally I tried on a pair of Westinghouse denim trousers that I thought looked good on me. I left them for the time being but decided to come back for them later after a final visit to real McCoys where I picked up a couple of undershirts.

All in all it was a great trip for shopping, music & friendship. A fellow who had heard me play in Tokyo about 20 years ago came to a couple of the shows. He had on some nice denim btw. I was bummed to have not made the Samurai & Full Count stores but I guess there’s always next time…

In conclusion I leave you with the landmark that we came to rely upon to let us know our hotel was close by. Shumday I'm gonna marry that gurl....

Bob Dale View Drop Down
grail
grail

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bob Dale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2016 at 6:02pm
Looks like a fun time -- thanks for sharing !

WTB Buzz Rickson or similar loopwheeled LG (40-42) sweatshirt
CSL View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CSL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2016 at 6:04pm
Happy to do so. I've just added a couple more photos of the inside of McFly btw.
mr randal View Drop Down
retired
retired
MDLD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote mr randal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2016 at 10:06pm
So good!

I would have completely lost my mind in McFly.
Double 0 Soul View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Double 0 Soul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2016 at 10:11pm
Fantastic CSL! ive only had a quick flick through but im looking forward to sitting down for some breakfast in an hour or two and fully digesting it.
Its a great post, thanks for the effort.
The Jerry View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Jerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2016 at 10:40pm
I love the part where you said someone who saw you 20 years ago came to see you again!
Snake View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2016 at 10:52pm
Fantastic. Thanks for sharing CSL.
smoothsailor View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote smoothsailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2016 at 11:44pm
seems like a great trip. I guess you need to find your peace being so close to where you want to go and not be able too.
What didn't you like of the from the welders pants?
dislectic
Dr_Heech View Drop Down
grail
grail

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dr_Heech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 12:22am
Looks like a great trip out CSL, thanks for sharing!
A_See View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote A_See Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 1:25am
Cool CSL! Looks like you had a fun trip and packed a lot into the time you had. Thanks for posting up.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic