FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSwastikas

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
whiskered
whiskered

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Swastikas
    Posted: 05 Nov 2014 at 4:39am
What's up with the Swastika being thrown on Japanese clothing here and there? I see this on Instagram sometimes and its usually commented with a few thanks and thumbs up. I know it originated as an peaceful Indian symbol, but I would have assumed that Japan might have gotten the memo on the procedure change before the rest of us.

Am I just being ignorant or is there something I'm missing? 
ThisSunday View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2014 at 4:47am
Originally posted by spork141 spork141 wrote:

What's up with the Swastika being thrown on Japanese clothing here and there? I see this on Instagram sometimes and its usually commented with a few thanks and thumbs up. I know it originated as an peaceful Indian symbol, but I would have assumed that Japan might have gotten the memo on the procedure change before the rest of us.

You're just being ignorant
spork141 View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2014 at 5:05am
Originally posted by ThisSunday ThisSunday wrote:

Originally posted by spork141 spork141 wrote:

You're just being ignorant

Well I came here for help sir. What am I missing?
hollows View Drop Down
grail
grail
anonymous

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2014 at 6:54am

Spork, the swastika conversation is probably too big for the forum, but there's a ton of information out there.

Start here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-29644591

Edited by hollows - 05 Nov 2014 at 10:22am
I make things out of leather.
spork141 View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2014 at 7:03am
Originally posted by hollows hollows wrote:

Thanks Davito, that one looks very nice too, but it's also cotton, like the Anonymousism one.

Spork, the swastika conversation is probably too big for the forum, but there's a ton of information out there.

Start here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-29644591

Yup, I get where it came from and how it was "stolen" and all, but given the negative connotations associated with it, I would assume that many would avoid putting it on clothing and social media with the understanding that it might offend.

I get this isn't a small question or anything. So I'll stand down. Unless anyone finds interest to move it to another forum.
Mr Black View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

anonymous

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2014 at 8:06am
Hi Spork,

From memory this was discussed a few months back in the FW thread. I'm thinking june/july time. I can't remember if any conclusion was drawn but a similar question to yours was raised.
www.sidewinderapparel.co.uk
killer b View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2014 at 8:40am
The swastika question isn't too big at all, it's pretty simple: the reason it's used is to shock, nothing more or less. It's peurile bullshit and they should grow the fuck up.

I have an interest in the industrial noise & black metal scenes, both of which have issues with bands and artists flirting with fascist iconography, so I've given this subject some thought over the years...
hollows View Drop Down
grail
grail
anonymous

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2014 at 8:51am
Come on, that's not remotely fair.  There's a third of the world where the swastika's primarily recognized as a religious symbol.

On maps in Japan a swastika is used to mark the location of temples.  It's not healthy to presume that your view is the only one or the right one, just make the decision for yourself and let others do the same.

It's definitely not a small question
spork141 View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2014 at 9:02am

Come on, that's not remotely fair.  There's a third of the world where the swastika's primarily recognized as a religious symbol.

On maps in Japan a swastika is used to mark the location of temples.  It's not healthy to presume that your view is the only one or the right one, just make the decision for yourself and let others do the same.

It's definitely not a small question

I think my issue with it is that this:

The following symbols are also often criticized:

The Confederate Flag, The Washington Redskins logo, The crucifix,  star of david

But all of those represent groups of people by culture, geographic location, race, or religion. It's tough to take that away from people without people feeling like their identity is being taken away.

I don't think the TRADITIONAL swastika represents a group of people. The one we all know represents Nazism. So who is it hurting to stop using it in a public fashion? Why not put a flower or a peace symbol on your jacket instead? I'm kind of with Killer a bit here. I think it's done for it's attention getting qualities. Unless of course im missing something about its meaning.
spork141 View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2014 at 9:13am

If this debate needs to continue, and I hope it doesn't, someone can start a new thread in Life Aside from Denim.  It is not a small question, it is a very large one and it has little to do with clothing.

OK OK :/ But only if someone else does it. I don't want to be "that guy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
  Share Topic