denimbro Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Denimbro > Denim/workwear research
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Thrifter's thread: Levi's 501 (1960's-1990's)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thrifter's thread: Levi's 501 (1960's-1990's)

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 25>
Author
Message
Maynard Fried-San View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
Avatar
anonymous

Joined: 21 Jan 2012
Location: London Taan
Status: Offline
Points: 17127
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Maynard Fried-San Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 6:02am
This list is pretty comprehensive and contains both 299 (listed as both England and UK) and 544 (USA).

292 and 295 are both Spain.
Helixing my inner beanie
Back to Top
mstax View Drop Down
raw
raw


Joined: 08 Sep 2020
Status: Offline
Points: 41
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mstax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 3:16am
Hello everyone,

I’m new to the forum. I’m from Europe and very much into denim and everything related. Mostly from 70’s and before that. Don’t have a huge collection of vintage items yet, but I’m working on it

Recently I acquired an original 60’s 501 jeans that I would like to have some information on, or some confirmation that it is what I think that it is. Based on what I could find online This is a 501 jeans from around 66/68. Characteristics are:

- Selvedge denim
- Patch says made in USA
- Patch is close to right beltloop
- Button number 8
- No V-stitch
- Big E tab
- Orange colour thread
- No care tags or washing instructions inside or outside

Below some pictures:







Complete album: https://imgur.com/a/gEeIeWV

Can somebody help me with dating this piece? I absolutely love the denim on this jeans and it has a very nice cut to it. Just like the LVC 66 model. Arcs are different though. And the previous owner cut the original hem off and fabricated one himself. Kinda like it, just a simple running stitch, a bit like sashiko 😁
Back to Top
mstax View Drop Down
raw
raw


Joined: 08 Sep 2020
Status: Offline
Points: 41
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mstax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 3:28am
Another piece that I would like some help with is a jacket I got a few years back. This is a 70506–0217 jacket. Button number 350, which would indicate Macau. Small e tab. Very short cut, interesting fit, almost 50’s like. Pocket flaps are more shallow then usual. Nice denim also. I think early 70’s?

Some pictures and album link:






Album: https://imgur.com/a/ICsTKgv
Back to Top
Denimetc View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
Avatar
anonymous

Joined: 24 Oct 2013
Location: 60N
Status: Offline
Points: 8919
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Denimetc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 10:26am
Originally posted by Maynard Fried-San Maynard Fried-San wrote:

This list is pretty comprehensive and contains both 299 (listed as both England and UK) and 544 (USA).

292 and 295 are both Spain.

Thanks Maynard, that is pretty good list of non-US factories. To add that three digit codes starting with 5 are US factories but we all knew that anyway...

Made in…Levis Button Numbers aka Factory Codes (stamped)
Brazil662
Bangladesh4582
Cambodia3423
Canada216
Columbia689
China3269, 3496
Croatiac01
Dominican Republic333, 333M
Egypt889, 3757, 4649
England211, 299, 311
France275
Haiti267, 4384
Hungary252
Indonesia3245
ItalyI01
JapanJ02, J22, J39, J38
KoreaK, K37, K91
Lesotho450, 499, 3405
 
Too much Denim - too little time...
Back to Top
Denimseeker View Drop Down
crocked
crocked
Avatar

Joined: 13 Mar 2020
Location: Hong Kong
Status: Offline
Points: 122
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denimseeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2021 at 11:39pm
Not so sure about the Macau produced jackets, but from the small e tab and the patch I would like to date it as mid-late 1970s





Originally posted by mstax mstax wrote:

Another piece that I would like some help with is a jacket I got a few years back. This is a 70506–0217 jacket. Button number 350, which would indicate Macau. Small e tab. Very short cut, interesting fit, almost 50’s like. Pocket flaps are more shallow then usual. Nice denim also. I think early 70’s?

Some pictures and album link:






Album: https://imgur.com/a/ICsTKgv
Back to Top
Denimseeker View Drop Down
crocked
crocked
Avatar

Joined: 13 Mar 2020
Location: Hong Kong
Status: Offline
Points: 122
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denimseeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2021 at 11:49pm
As for your jeans, I can't see the paper patch very clearly, but is there an "A" on 501? I assume your jeans should be produced around late 60s anyway (68-71)

Originally posted by mstax mstax wrote:

Hello everyone,

I’m new to the forum. I’m from Europe and very much into denim and everything related. Mostly from 70’s and before that. Don’t have a huge collection of vintage items yet, but I’m working on it

Recently I acquired an original 60’s 501 jeans that I would like to have some information on, or some confirmation that it is what I think that it is. Based on what I could find online This is a 501 jeans from around 66/68. Characteristics are:

- Selvedge denim
- Patch says made in USA
- Patch is close to right beltloop
- Button number 8
- No V-stitch
- Big E tab
- Orange colour thread
- No care tags or washing instructions inside or outside

Below some pictures:







Complete album: https://imgur.com/a/gEeIeWV

Can somebody help me with dating this piece? I absolutely love the denim on this jeans and it has a very nice cut to it. Just like the LVC 66 model. Arcs are different though. And the previous owner cut the original hem off and fabricated one himself. Kinda like it, just a simple running stitch, a bit like sashiko 😁
Back to Top
mstax View Drop Down
raw
raw


Joined: 08 Sep 2020
Status: Offline
Points: 41
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 1:04am
Thanx Denimseeker for the info on jeans and jacket. That helps. There is no A written on the patch. Going to wash them today and see if I can make it work to wear them

About the jacket, seems to me that this Macau jacket has a different cut then the USA versions from around the mid to late 70’s. Maybe this cut would suit the Asian market more? Does anybody know if these jackets were made for the Asian market or are they just one of the earlier produced ones outside of USA? Just interested.
Back to Top
mr.Vox View Drop Down
crocked
crocked
Avatar

Joined: 17 Mar 2015
Status: Offline
Points: 97
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr.Vox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 4:49am
Had one of those Macau jackets small e ones, back then. They were shorter and pocket flaps were shallow

Edited by mr.Vox - 06 Mar 2021 at 6:23am
Back to Top
mstax View Drop Down
raw
raw


Joined: 08 Sep 2020
Status: Offline
Points: 41
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 5:47am
Same for this one. I like the fit, wear it a lot.
Back to Top
Sansome View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN
Avatar

Joined: 20 Jan 2012
Location: California
Status: Offline
Points: 13937
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sansome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 8:16pm
I found a 501 yesterday- button number 501, this pant is perfect in every way....I’m having a hard time believing that any
Levi with a button number 501 is a Thai fake...I’ve seen Thai fakes with button number 501- but this pair that I found the other day, when I compare it with others from the same date, the details are spot on- this doesn’t make any sense?
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 25>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.047 seconds.