denimbro Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Denimbro > Life aside from denim
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What are you reading?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 23>
Author
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the bandanna almanac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 5:22am
3rd time Reading Aubrey /Maturin 19 book series. On Desolation Island right now, one of my favorite books, and my favorite series. 
hollows View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hollows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 9:09am
Just picked up The Divine Comedy, a book that I never had much interest in until I read Borges say "The Commedia is a book everyone ought to read. Not to do so is to deprive oneself of the greatest gift that literature can give us."

Pretty strong endorsement from a man whose opinion I respect above pretty much all others.

Anyone here a connoisseur?  I grabbed the Cary translation somewhat blindly, hopefully it's decent, but would be interested to hear thoughts on any favorite translations.
I make things out of leather.
dustydenimdad View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustydenimdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by Double 0 Soul Double 0 Soul wrote:

Didn't know there was such a thing? Im not going to buy it Wink

Check out some of Kerouac's interviews after he published On the Road. Cool stuff!
Bob Dale View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

GRAIL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Dale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 5:07pm

Happy Hooligan View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Happy Hooligan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2013 at 9:35pm

nothing like the film.
oomslokop View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oomslokop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2013 at 4:30am
@hollows paris review's blog had a divine comedy retrospective last month. on their tumblr they put up a selection of different illustrations for the book, you might enjoy that (@theblackacre definitely will). they prefer the hollander translation.
rakuten is entertainment
Maynard Fried-San View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maynard Fried-San Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2013 at 4:42am
Just finished George Orwell's 'The Lion and the Unicorn'. A very interesting read.
Ishmael View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ishmael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2013 at 5:54am
"Yankees in the Land of the Gods", again. A really riveting book. What a weird weird encounter. It's truly amazing to think about how expansionary the US was already in the 1850s. Of course we know about the frontier of "the west" but really the whole Pacific was a frontier by mid 19th century.
russell View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2014 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by Ishmael Ishmael wrote:

"Yankees in the Land of the Gods", again. A really riveting book. What a weird weird encounter. It's truly amazing to think about how expansionary the US was already in the 1850s. Of course we know about the frontier of "the west" but really the whole Pacific was a frontier by mid 19th century.

I'll have to look for that.  I recently finished Sea of Glory by Nathaniel Philbrick.  It's the story of the U.S. Exploring Expedition of 1838-1842.  It too takes place mostly in the Pacific, and speaks to U.S. ambitions and "insular annexations" as well.  It was quite an amazing adventure led by a total bastard.
Maynard Fried-San View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maynard Fried-San Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2014 at 2:41pm
I've just started a Christmas present from my good lady, it's Morrissey's autobiography. Can't remember who it's by though...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 23>
  Share Topic