denimbro Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Denimbro > Life aside from denim
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What are you reading?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 23>
Author
raw
raw

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keg Bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2013 at 8:51pm
Another favorite is Frans G. Bengtsson's "The Longships" which I am reading again right now. Remarkable novel about Viking adventure. Hard to find in the US but worth the search. 
Happy Hooligan View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Happy Hooligan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2013 at 10:53pm
I tried reading a William Gibson's pattern recognition but boy was it slow and boring.  Like reading pages and pages of why a guy likes nylon jacket.    I had heard some good things about this guy but I had to stop 100 pages in.

I love Chandler.  I've read everything I can find from him, including all his shorts too.   Pretty much all 40's griddy crime I've read.  

I'm currently reading something most people here are not... Harry Potter.  I finally decided to see what all the hub-bub was about.  I'm on the third one now and actaully enjoy them a quite a lot.  Fast reads and full of action.   I might have to watch the movies now.  
Double 0 Soul View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double 0 Soul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2013 at 1:41am
Originally posted by Maynard Friedman Maynard Friedman wrote:

I'm reading this thread.

I've just bought 'The Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared' by Jonas Jonasson and I recently received as a present, 'Where Have You Been?' by Joseph O'Connor. I need to decide which one to start next.

My lovelife played second fiddle to the "The hundered year old man" my wife could not put it down (the book that is)
Maynard Fried-San View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maynard Fried-San Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2013 at 2:11am
So your wife preferred that old chap to yours I see!
Double 0 Soul View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double 0 Soul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2013 at 5:01am
Sadly that is true, She is reading "the book thief" now, judging by the tear stained pages even a good cry seems favourable.
Bords View Drop Down
raw
raw

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bords Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2013 at 3:32pm
Made to Stick

Fantastic, use what I've learned so far in both professional and personal communication.
Ali from Bath View Drop Down
crocked
crocked

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ali from Bath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2013 at 12:19pm
Hi, Sorry to come onto this late, but I feel obliged to give one recommendation in particular :
Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts , it touches on many subjects and just utterly absorbs you in ..
Heroin smuggling Australian, but it goes so many places including spirituality and many other things
But just an amazing read ..
dustydenimdad View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustydenimdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2013 at 7:05pm
Just finished reading Cheryl Strayed's books, Wild, and I it's one of the most captivating books I've ever had the pleasure of reading. I highly recommend it to anyone into wilderness; to anyone having a rough time at the moment and needs to be transported to a place in the mountains overlooking magnificent streams of pure-blue water; and, really, to anyone who enjoys good prose.
Bob Dale View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

GRAIL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Dale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2013 at 7:28pm
I picked up a well worn copy of 'Sex drugs and cocoa puffs' by Chuck Klosterman yesterday.

I enjoy how he uses pop culture references to describe the mundane, it makes for an enjoyable read.

rnrswitch View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rnrswitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2013 at 9:37pm
I'm reading Detroit: an American autopsy. Pretty good picture of current Detroit. It reads like a real life noir movie. It's great.

I tend not to read too much fiction. I feel like I don't get enough info out of fiction, although I do see the benefits of fiction. I tried and still pull it out every so often, infinite jest, but it is so difficult to read.
Too bad your momma's a bitch, cuz I totally coulda been your daddy.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 23>
  Share Topic