Forum Home Forum Home > Denimbro > Denimbro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Where did your jeans go today?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8586878889 94>
Author
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HP Sauce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 5:32am
Originally posted by Yeaster Bunny Yeaster Bunny wrote:

You get an A from me HP. Would have been an A+ if some indigo was sprinkled in. đŸ’ȘđŸ» Coat though

Quite right on the indigo aspect, Yeaster.  Just couldn't bring myself to wear anything other than a dress for the walkabout.  Mind you, having built the thing to afford lots of layering for the cold, I now realize that I look like a candidate for some kind of back-to-the-land movement.  Cult status of a different sort. LOL

Never mind. Canadian federal politics may sometimes turn ugly but at least we gave it a beautiful setting. 

I reckon the thing that differentiates work in this precinct from that of most other parliamentary precincts is that, when real winter has set in, everybody -- be they a politician, witness, committee clerk, staffer or analyst -- is forced to share the pre-committee meeting ritual of shedding parkas, mittens, snowboots and toques before taking his/her/undecided respective place around or near the table. 

Style and status only emerges after the shedding of survival gear.  It's weird, awkward and appropriately humbling.
HP Sauce
Double 0 Soul View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (12) Thanks(12)   Quote Double 0 Soul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 1:04pm
Megatron Redux

You might remember my last visit to Sheffield's megatron, 3-4 years ago now, my £4 torch was a lighting disaster! well....i bought a search & rescue light a few years ago which can fire a beam 1200m... perfect for tunnels.

First up i made an extension piece for my tripod (out of wood, painted black) held in place with a small grub-screw so i could raise the camera above water level for some long exposures/light painting... some prep went on this time Big smile
The sub-zero January temperatures, ice and flooded rivers just adds to the fun!

No history lesson today, i'm not going over old ground, have a scoot back if you wish but in brief...
Megatron is a huge subteranean Victorian storm drain built in the city center over the convergence of the cities rivers to try and avoid previous, historic flooding disasters, part of the city and Midland Train Station was constructod over the top.

I entered beneath Midland train station

Trains thunder overhead and the stench of diesel is thick in the air

Overhead you can see some modern reinforcement to support the weight of the trains

On i go...

Popped out from under Midland Station, to an open air water section.

Back under the other side heading towards Megatron's brick cathedral arch

Just around the corner through this very deep water section we get to....

....the bat-cave

The cathedral arch

Thanks for looking...

Maynard Fried-San View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Maynard Fried-San Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 1:16pm
Always a pleasure to see these great photos (and commentary) Neal.
Helixing my inner beanie
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double 0 Soul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 1:39pm
Did you see Dr.Who New Years spesh? they were supposedly underneath the Town Hall when they found the Dalek, it was probably just a film set..
Mr Black View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 2:29pm
Do you do these trips alone?
www.sidewinderapparel.co.uk
Iron Horse View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Iron Horse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 4:13pm
Perhaps accompanied by the Ninja Turtles.
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Double 0 Soul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 10:33pm
I have two main concerns when underground waist deep..

1) Will something bite my leg*
2) Will i get stuck with no phone coverage

* F**k knows why... the wildlife in the UK isn't particularly wild (maybe a hungry stickleback) it's probably too many zombie apocalypse films.

Originally posted by Mr Black Mr Black wrote:

Do you do these trips alone?

Always Martin, the only time ive had the pleasure of a fellow explorer was when i took mini-soul through the Rowsley to Bakewell tunnel.
They had to write a story at school describing the time when they felt the most scared, this was his.
I set the timer on the camera for the photo's.
Duke View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 3:48am

Brilliant
Duke View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 11:02am
Originally posted by Double 0 Soul Double 0 Soul wrote:

Thanks Mike, you've figured it...
I couldn't find my Petzl so rather
than fanny around in the darkness, I set the camera to full manual and
attached it to the tripod (tripod also worked as a water depth gage) manual focus off into distance (obviously auto
only works if it can find something in the darkness to focus on) ISO400
ect ect.. then used the timer to give me 15 seconds to get into shot,
thereafter the shutter opens for 15, 20 or 25 seconds (this was the only
alteration i made down there using the command dial depending on how
big the space was which i had to light up) used my body to block the
intense light from the torch reflector, and remain as still as possible
while light painting.
Its a beat'up 20yr old 400D with the Mickey mouse kit lens
but still got pretty good results, i only get around 60 shots using this method due to the toll on the battery i wouldn't take expensive gear
down there...that's if i had 'expensive gear' of course.

Thanks for this Neal

I’m quoting D0S from the How It’s Worn thread because and putting this post here:

1. Pretty much if you’re documenting travels with denim then you’ll have a camera of some sort with you;
2. There isn’t a ‘how to ~’ or ‘how do you take photographs’ thread ... as far as I know;
aaaand
3. This interest of mine probably isn’t something worth it’s own thread anyway.

So - I’m not a photographer (but I’ve got a reasonable understanding of camera tech and jargon) but I am interested in how folks take their selfies here. Or indeed are they selfies - do you have someone take the pic? What kind of equipment do you use (this isn’t a dick swinging contest on lens speed tho’)? How do you chose your ideas, and anything else about process you use to take photos?

For my part I usually try and get organised between baby, work and weather, grab my camera and tripod and see what I end up with. But it’s not that simple because I hate trying to ‘pose’ in public, it’s ok to have the odd person hovering around or passing by, though more than that I just abandon and move on.

I set the camera up and fortunately I have an app that allows me to remotely control the camera so taking the pic is relatively straightforward despite being limited to particular lenses because the WiFi range means I have to be close to camera, then back home to transfer, edit and upload.

Despite nothing being all that complex in my method I always feel things are never straightforward trying to demonstrate how fantastic you look in your new gear ...

It seems there are a multitude of ways to go about this - some taking quick snaps and some going to greater lengths to look cool on Denimbro. What’s your secrets and techniques?
CSL View Drop Down
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CSL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 12:30pm
That app you mentioned sounds useful.

I'm mostly just using the iPhone on 10 second timer method although I'm rarely happy with the results.

With my 'proper camera' I use manual focus lenses so that makes things more tricky. One of these days I expect  I'll break down & strap on the auto focus kit lens & think "why didn't I just do this in the first place?...".
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8586878889 94>
  Share Topic