denimbro Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Denimbro > Brands
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Levis Vintage Clothing (LVC)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 210211212213214 475>
Author
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoggreaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2013 at 3:38pm
I like Major's Veyron analogy, seems pretty apt, what with all the money the mainline must rake in, and I assume it does (or do people actually still spend £70+ a pop on high street Levis? Even grown blokes seem to wear Replay, G-Star, Diesel, Paul Smith or whatevers fashionable at that moment, so perhaps even the regular brand is struggling in recent times)... 

Come to think of it the (regular line) Levis store in Leeds hardly ever seems anywhere near full of customers, perhaps 'cos most people know the brand stores overcharge for what you can get elsewhere for less. 
devilish View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote devilish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2013 at 4:34pm
I'm not sure that the parent company really does make as much money as people would assume. The jeans market is so diluted at this point and there are so many stores that sell Levis for less than they do, not to mention all the fakes.
I would guess that the corporate bean counters have had to watch over the years as profits have dwindled. I'm not sure I feel sorry for them but that's probably the reality. The ones who have really suffered are obviously the employees who have seen their jobs shipped overseas to try and make up the difference.
setterman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote setterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2013 at 5:17pm
Just read an article on Forbes, Levi's spent over $250 million on advertising and promotion last year, and just signed on to spend $11 million a year for naming rights to the 49ers new stadium. They're doing OK.
I got a rocket in my pocket and roll in my jeans
DeNimes View Drop Down
raw
raw

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DeNimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2013 at 12:43am
Of course they're OK... Levis is a bonafide American classic brand like Coca-Cola, Heinz Ketchup or Converse sneakers... you can find them anywhere in the world, and they're worn by all ages and gender. That being said there are times when they are doing better then others.. I'd say they peaked in the 90's.. even creatively with Flat Eric and other epic adverts... The 2000's decade is when they started to suffer thanks to Diesel and the whole "couture" jeans trend... the new CEO recently said Levis was too slow to adapt during that period.. that may be true but I'm also thankful they stayed true to themselves.. when the whole heritage/vintage trend arrived couple years ago, Levis found themselves on top again, with major growth opening huge flagships all over Europe. LVC started getting distributed in high-end fashion places like Mr Porter, Tres Bien etc... but again trends are shifting.. which explains the sudden dip in LVC stock at certain shops.. the new management doesn't wanna loose again so that may mean a reduction in production hence the closing of LVC in Paris flagship in favour of a capsule corner in another much smaller shop (but in a more fashion oriented district) only time will tell if this is the right move.. but my point is there are many external factors to these decisions as well.. it's not as simple as it may seem!
Maynard Fried-San View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maynard Fried-San Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2013 at 12:52am
I work for a large corporate organisation in London that has dressdown Fridays. There are lots of people who wear standard Levi's there - people who look like their mum/wife/girlfriend chooses their clothes, those who look like they make a bit of an effort, those who are a bit square, those who look like they make very little effort and contractors from India who think they've hit the big time. The younger, more 'fashion forward' demographic, however are the G-Star/Diesel/Cheap Monday crowd. I've even seen a few pairs of selvage floating around - APC and modern Edwins I believe.

Anyway, Levi's still appears to be in rude health around my workplace.
geL- View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geL- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2013 at 1:38am
I'm not surprise that the LVC store closed in Paris.
The hype never came in France. A little bit at one time but mostly for hipster or young rich who want a 250€ pair of levis. And those people bought mostly hard wash version so more like 300+€
Maybe 2% in france was buying LVC for what it is. 
Edwin / Apc is the reference in France. It's sad but if you want to buy a good jean anywhere outside Paris you're only choice is those 2 marks and if you're lucky but only if you're very lucky you will find Atelier ladurance.  
DeNimes View Drop Down
raw
raw

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeNimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2013 at 2:56am
Well you do have internet mon ami? plenty of online stores carry LVC (i even have a few pairs on leboncoin) As i said earlier the Marais shop was the most profitable LVC sales point in the world at some point.. of course we are not talking Zara profits.. it is a premium brand catering to connaisseurs.. but the reason the Champs-Elysee floor closed hasn't got much to do with hype.. it was a fatal mistake to relocate there, the clientele being 99% high street shoppers & tourists.. they thought because LVC is their upper-tier that it should have a presence in their flagship but were too ambitious.. they are now timidly going back to a new Marais location..
geL- View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geL- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2013 at 4:52am
The propos is not if i have internet or not but the reason why LVC store closed in Paris. And even in the Marais i prefer buy LVC from Rocker speed shop where i can speak of details rather than LVC shop. 
I obviously buy my denim my shirts etc... from internet and it's a shame. 
It's just a fact in France we have 10 years late when it comes to workwear or repro. 
DeNimes View Drop Down
raw
raw

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeNimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2013 at 7:36am
Speak for yourself... I remember Valencia denim being sought after in the 90's.. we use to call them "Big E's" and not just in Paris.. the Marais store opened in 2008.. that's 5 years ago already.. case closed
Dr_Heech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr_Heech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2013 at 7:48am
Originally posted by Maynard Friedman Maynard Friedman wrote:

I work for a large corporate organisation in London that has dressdown Fridays.

Considering Anne Summers current line-up, it must be an uplifting experience indeed!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 210211212213214 475>
  Share Topic