denimbro Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Denimbro > Brands
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Levis Vintage Clothing (LVC)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 475>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote Dr_Heech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Levis Vintage Clothing (LVC)
    Posted: 28 Jan 2012 at 1:24pm

...............................................................................................................................................

This is the Levi's Vintage Clothing thread.  Started in 1996, the Levi's Vintage Clothing brand was set up to cater for the increasing interest in vintage denim, a phenomenon which quietly started in the early 1980's.  In 2003, the brand name was abbreviated to LVC. 
This is the place to post your photo's,  and discuss the various nuances which we've all come to love and ... well, you know Wink 

...................................................................................................................................................

Edited by mr randal - 21 May 2020 at 10:05pm
Bob Dale View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

GRAIL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bob Dale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2012 at 9:44pm
 great post Doc!

Edited by Bob Dale - 29 Jan 2012 at 9:23pm
Dr_Heech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Dr_Heech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 10:44am

The first range that Levi's vintage clothing produced that was available in a few select stores here in the UK (see Lvc catalogues thread) had orange waist sizing/model tags.  These were only produced from 9/96 for a few months before the colour of the tag changed to salmon pink.  The first orange labelled items in the UK also came in a presentation box.  I have only seen the 1955 501XX, 1937 201xx and the 1963 551ZXX with these earlier tags.  The backs of the waist buttons were stamped '555', denoting their place of manufacture as the Valencia street factory in San Fransisco.
Here is one of two pairs of 1955's I have with the orange tag -

They also came with a large sticker -

Saying all this, there was an early pre-Lvc offering - probably influenced by the growing interest of Levis Japan imports - a generic 1966 Big E repro produced around 1994 (if anyone has pics, that'd be great!) - These again came in a presentation box.

Edited by mr randal - 21 May 2020 at 10:06pm
Dr_Heech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Dr_Heech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 11:03am
Here are two pairs of 1937 201XX jeans with the salmon-pink waist tags.  Obviously they are 501XX, but for some unknown reason, Lvc then decided to differenciate them from the 1955 501XX's by giving them a different Lot number.  I would have though the different date, buckle, crotch rivet ..etc would have sufficed?  This was corrected in the S/S 2002 collection.

Notice that the tag codes (as well as the patch and inside leg size) are different?  The top pair in this last pic were made in 6/96!  I bought them from the US direct, so I can only assume that Lvc had started a little earlier there and hadn't used the orange tag variant(?)

The denim on the two is different -  the earlier pair is much hairier and greyer in colour (the bottom pair in the following pic) -

Close-up -

Other early models with the salmon-pink tags -

1962 557XX jacket from 1997

(All these pieces are now sold).

Edited by mr randal - 21 May 2020 at 10:20pm
Dr_Heech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote Dr_Heech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 12:08pm
In 1999, amongst new models, came the 1920 201 jean and the matching 1929 213 jacket.  The 201 was originally one of the budget lines introduced by Levi's back in the late 19th century.  In my opinion, these '99 repro's by Lvc were some of the best they made.
Here is a 1999 pair (right) next to the infamous 'wrong arcs' model of 2005 (left)  -

The 213 one pocket pleated blouse - 

(all these pieces are now sold)

Edited by mr randal - 21 May 2020 at 10:22pm
Dr_Heech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Dr_Heech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 12:19pm
Some of the best repro's Lvc manufactured were around 1999-2000.  In 1999 the 1944 S501XX and the matching jacket were introduced, as well as one of the most iconic models - the 1947, the first post-war Levi's 501XX.  Different in cut and details, compared to the jeans made before the U.S joined the war effort, the 1947 model has now become the standard to which all 501's would follow.
I recently picked up these repro's from the first batch, also made in 1999 at Valencia street -

An interesting detail is the length of the 'sail-stitch' down the outseam (on originals this was the thickest thread used to sew the pants) -

Also on the flasher, the words "The rivets' still there" has a band going through the middle (like on originals up until '66) of the word 'LEVI'S', just like the '37 and '44 repros.  Yet the 55's dont have this feature? 
Another nice touc and an interesting point is that the flasher is dated 1947, whereas flashers on the (555) '44 and '55 models are dated 1996. I really need to get a life.

Label and button denoting place and year of manufacture -

Also in this year, Lvc introduced the beautifull wartime version of the 506XX, the simplified (Hence 'S' prefix) model which adhered to the stringent wartime cutbacks -

The pocket flasher -

Plain steel rivets, given a copper-wash.

Inside care tag -

(now sold)

Edited by mr randal - 21 May 2020 at 10:34pm
Dr_Heech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Dr_Heech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 12:54pm
Other great repro's made around 2000 were the 1873 duck pants, duck waistcoat and hunting jacket.  Intended to be worn together on horseback, the clothing of early hunters/trappers.
This is the catalogue which came with the jacket -

The duck jacket  -

The duck pants -

Black ID line in watch pocket (and outside busted seam) -

And leather washers on rivet-backs (this was to increase the water-repellent nature of the garment when wet) -

The duck waistcoat -

Here they are together -

...............................................................................................................................................

One of the two variants of the 1873 ist blue jean, produced in 2001.  This one is made from natural indigo (the other version was made in the darker, synthetic indigo) -

Inside care tag (labelled 125 to denote the '125th anniversary' of L.S &co -

Pocket bag print -

Possibly to emulate the one's on originals, produced before the 'guarantee ticket', such as this one from the Guiness book of records'  "most expensive jeans ever sold" -

(now sold).

Edited by mr randal - 21 May 2020 at 10:48pm
Dr_Heech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dr_Heech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by mr randal mr randal wrote:

Lovely stuff, Dr. I guess your sell-off last year wasn't exactly comprehensive, eh?
Most stuff I have posted has been sold over the last two and a half years.  All I have left of the early stuff is a BNWT pair of '55's and the duck stuff.
Oh and a pair of one wash 551ZXX which I wear now and again.

Edited by Dr_Heech - 10 Oct 2012 at 8:37am
killer b View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote killer b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 4:08pm
do you have a fit pic of the duck set dr_heech? or would that be a tux too far?
erk View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote erk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 5:36pm
charlie, you're a good man. thanks for posting all that.

I thought I'd share my 1955 review here as well as sufu.

"So my new 1955s are in. Overall I think they're pretty awesome. I love the fabric, the fit/silhouette is realy cool and classic, the construction looks to be dead on, and the pockets look really nice.

however, the buttons look horrible. the cheapest looking I've seen. definitely not what you'd come to expect on a 250 dollar pair of jeans. the rivets look nice and this time are copper backed rather than silver.

although the fly buttons look cheapo, the backs look pretty cool. more like what i've seen on originals, kinda domed looking.

my other gripe is an old one. I wish they used nicer thread. The thread roy slaper uses is really nice and doesn't look shiny and plastic. the thread used on these is a little hairy, but still quite shiny. Something I still notice on my 1937s."

Waist - 36
upper thigh - 12.5
knee - 9.75
front rise - 12.75
back rise - 16
hem - 8.5
inseam - 35.25

drying now. the rust has already started on the buttons, and they're not even dry yet. weird.

Edited by mr randal - 21 May 2020 at 10:50pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 475>
  Share Topic