denimbro Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Denimbro > Brands
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The Osaka FIve: SDA, Full Count, Evisu and more
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Osaka FIve: SDA, Full Count, Evisu and more

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>
Author
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (9) Thanks(9)   Quote pablo t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Osaka FIve: SDA, Full Count, Evisu and more
    Posted: 15 Mar 2013 at 6:23am
We seem to have very little here on the Osaka Five. I'm a big fan of SDA and Full Count, and noticed I had nowhere to post them, so this thread seems as good a place as any.

I'll update this post with some links, and more photos. But for now, here's a shot of my current main pair, the Full Count 1108 - a fantastic interpretation of the Levi's late 60s look - and the SDA 103XX, the natural indigo version of their take on a 1947 cut.

Both SDA and Full Count often get overlooked; yet SDA were on the scene well before Evisu, and were pioneers of Japanese denim (much of their early fabric was made by Nihon Menpu). Full Count arrived around a year after Evisu; they've stayed pretty small-scale and consistent over the years in comparison.

The 1108 (top left) is a very subtle design; the denim is hard to wear in, subtle slubs, very different to the Japanese denim that's designed to wear in quickly.

The 103XX (bottom left) is one of the darkest natural indigo jeans you'll find. Again, very tough to wear in, and the interpretation of the fabric by Nihon Menpu  is very similar to Cone's 1947 repro - very grainy, with lots of weft showing through, and once again, very subtle slubs

For comparison's sake, I should have shown this pair alongside the LVC 1947. I seem to have lost my pair so, just temporary like, I've included the LVC 55.

pablo t View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote pablo t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2013 at 6:29am
I'll add some pics from Nihon Menpu, key partners in the Osaka Five, soon. 
pablo t View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote pablo t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2013 at 6:36am
And I'll add photos of the Full Count shop here in the near future. 
pablo t View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote pablo t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2013 at 7:01am
I realise I also have a Full Count brochure and breakdown of styles so I shall scan that and add it in. Over and out. 
mr randal View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN
MDLD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr randal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2013 at 7:18am
Very nice Paul- these brands definitely don't get enough attention. I'm particularly curious about that SDA 103xx...
setterman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote setterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2013 at 7:27am
The Osaka 5 include Warehouse and Denime too?  Might want to roll the Denime and Warehouse threads into this one, since they aren't very big yet.  Love the wear on the SDA's Paul.  
I got a rocket in my pocket and roll in my jeans
Dr_Heech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr_Heech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2013 at 8:03am
Originally posted by pablo t pablo t wrote:

I realise I also have a Full Count brochure and breakdown of styles so I shall scan that and add it in. Over and out. 

Would be very interested to see that Pablo, especially after my visit to 'Son of Stag' a while back.  Whilst I was having  a sterling hemming job on my Bartack's and SC47's, I was introduced to the 1101(?) - the 40's model? and the 50's model too.  They had the (sort-of) arcs and red tabs, which unfortunately had to be cut off - something to do with the Lvc rep getting upset apparently.
Maynard Fried-San View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maynard Fried-San Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2013 at 8:17am
They also had a ludicrous £300 price tag!
Dr_Heech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dr_Heech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2013 at 8:23am
Originally posted by Maynard Friedman Maynard Friedman wrote:

They also had a ludicrous £300 price tag!

Yes, but at least you were getting some serious quality, at least that was my conclusion after a fine tooth-combing.   Lvc are nearly that new but fall way short quality-wise.

Maybe that was why the rep was a little upset Wink

setterman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote setterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2013 at 8:25am
Originally posted by Dr_Heech Dr_Heech wrote:

Originally posted by pablo t pablo t wrote:

Would be very interested to see that Pablo, especially after my visit to 'Son of Stag' a while back.  Whilst I was having  a sterling hemming job on my Bartack's and SC47's, I was introduced to the 1101(?) - the 40's model? and the 50's model too.  They had the (sort-of) arcs and red tabs, which unfortunately had to be cut off - something to do with the Lvc rep getting upset apparently.

The 1101 is nearly indentical to the 0105 in the top block, but more taped below the knee.  I always felt the 0105 to leaned more towards the 50s 501, the 1101 the late 60s 501, and the 1108 more of an altered 40s cut.  The leg shape of my 1108Cs felt much more like my LVC '44 and '47, than my LVC '66s.  The 1108 is very trim from the thigh down, and I had to get rid of the pair I had.  Too big in the waist, and too narrow in the thigh.  
I got a rocket in my pocket and roll in my jeans
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>
  Share Topic