denimbro Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Denimbro > Denim/workwear research
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PBS airing documentary on history of jeans

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shorty Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PBS airing documentary on history of jeans
    Posted: 01 Feb 2022 at 5:33pm
Hello:

The PBS series American Experience is presenting an episode exploring the history of the blue jean. It premieres Feb. 7. 

Sansome View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sansome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2022 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by Shorty Long Shorty Long wrote:

Hello:

The PBS series American Experience is presenting an episode exploring the history of the blue jean. It premieres Feb. 7. 

I had a phone call with the people involved, they thought the white labor thing might have been a fake, I talked a little about the Chinese making jeans back then, looks like next week it’s going to air- it should be good.
Maynard Fried-San View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maynard Fried-San Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2022 at 11:46pm
Thanks Sansome, what do you mean by a fake? Wasn’t it printed on the label of some brands or is that not correct?
Helixing my inner beanie
Sansome View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sansome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2022 at 7:43am
Originally posted by Maynard Fried-San Maynard Fried-San wrote:

Thanks Sansome, what do you mean by a fake? Wasn’t it printed on the label of some brands or is that not correct?

At first, they had a hard time wrapping their heads around Levi Strauss ever saying something like that- I believe they came across an ad from the early 1890’s- then they thought this must have meant- no African American labor, that’s when we went into the anti Chinese sentiment of the time.

White labor was on ads and the clothing from around 1887-1892-3
We also found it as early as 1880- seeing that the first big push against the chines was in 1876.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic