denimbro Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Denimbro > Brands
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rising Sun goodies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5556575859 90>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
iamcam View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamcam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 8:36am
wow, weird news for sure...mike was THE top bloke we met on our last visit to LA...
anyone to shed some light on reason and/or motivation for quitting RS???
for sure it's not because of lacking numbers/sales Wink
theruggedguys.com
monomento.de
Sansome View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Sansome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 9:12am
Originally posted by iamcam iamcam wrote:

wow, weird news for sure...mike was THE top bloke we met on our last visit to LA...
anyone to shed some light on reason and/or motivation for quitting RS???
for sure it's not because of lacking numbers/salesĀ Wink

Investors want profit- and when they don't get it- they pull the plug- I think this is what happened?
iamcam View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote iamcam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 9:27am
hummm, i get your point, but to be honest:
if there was some big capital walking behind the lines at all, where did they expect RS to be by now?
on parisien runways and big fashion shows?
RS's recent performance/development was one of the best in this special-interest/heritage-field (which is and has ever been known to be small in comparison to other sectors of the fashion industry), so why the heck would someone pull a plug so big it would break the rising brands neck completely?
theruggedguys.com
monomento.de
rnrswitch View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rnrswitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 9:59am
I think hodis has been driven to lower the price on the jeans, which is pretty difficult when you do small runs and do most of the production in house, while paying a decent wage. If there were outside investors which I believe there were, then they really couldn't expect much unless they were promised a lot.

I have a feeling rs would have done much better (maybe only slightly) if they focused on interesting fabrics (unsanforized, knobby, etc.), but I don't know much about the industry. It just seems like folks that are into their aesthetics would also be into special fabrics.

Nevertheless I am sure hodis has something up his sleeve... At least I hope so.
Too bad your momma's a bitch, cuz I totally coulda been your daddy.
rnrswitch View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rnrswitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 10:03am
All this talk though had me thinking about some rs chinos.
Too bad your momma's a bitch, cuz I totally coulda been your daddy.
iamcam View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamcam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 10:45am
...which (fielder chino) i got myself last week, haha Clap
theruggedguys.com
monomento.de
kiya View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kiya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 12:48pm
Hello all... 
About a week ago i made a tweet which people seem to be thinking was directed at Rising Sun.  I had no idea at the time Mike was closing down his business, nor was the tweet directed towards him, it was directed at retailers (which was even stated in the tweet) and i had mentioned investors, which i didn't realize Mike had, so it was bad timing.  
Just had a talk with Mike in person in Vegas, it's sad to hear his business is closing down, but on the flip side he's got some very exciting (and different) things in the works. 
Self Edge - SF/NY/LA/PDX
https://www.selfedge.com
Ishmael View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ishmael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by rnrswitch rnrswitch wrote:

The new acquisition.  I would like to say that Mike was very cool to work with on this.  Hombre scheduled a time for me to come down and talk fabrics with him.  When it came time to pick it up he opened up the shop on an off day to work with my schedule.  Overall, very pleased with the process and the final product, which is all I really care about, though.

Hodis just got these sew on black enamel buttons when I was down there.  They were just what I wanted.

These may still get my vote for best pair of jeans I've seen on DB.
hollows View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hollows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 6:08pm
That denim is goooooood.
tvshooter View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Vest Whore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tvshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 8:02pm
i remember about a year or so ago RS had landed a deal with Nordstrom(?) to carry some of it's stuff.  Orvis was carrying their stuff.  What happened with those retailers (and maybe others) and how did that affect the company going forward?

When I saw the RS booth at Inspiration two years ago, I wanted everything!  However, when I go to their online shop, I'm like meh.  To me, the website shop represents a dichotomy with RS.  On one hand they were doing amazing vintage style repro stuff, (geared more towards a niche market like us) and the other was trying to be more mainstream.  I wonder what Mike's vision of the company was going forward and what his investors vision was.   

Def wish Mike the best in his future endeavors. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5556575859 90>
  Share Topic