denimbro Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Denimbro > Denimbro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ralph Tharpe on Black seed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ADMIN
ADMIN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote Sansome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ralph Tharpe on Black seed
    Posted: 21 May 2020 at 1:38pm
It's been awhile since talking with Ralph, I asked for a little blurb- on The Black seed.

bs by bottleswest, on Flickr

bs1 by bottleswest, on Flickr

bs3 by bottleswest, on Flickr
Broark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Broark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 2:00pm
Really interesting stuff, thanks for sharing.
Sansome View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Sansome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 2:30pm
Another story that might be of interest, maybe a year or so, after the Roy X Cone contest, Ralph and Supima got together-
A long standing rumor had been in the denim weaving community. The rumor was, Levi Strauss used long staple cotton back in the day- meaning 1800’s. Supima thought it might be a way for them to possibly collaborate with Levi (LVC) If they could prove Levi did indeed use Long staple cotton. I cut samples from 5 pieces of 1870’s Levi pant pieces, I warned Ralph back then, I basically said ( good luck getting anyone at Levi excited about anything) The $$ was put up by Supima
And all 5 1870’s pieces were DNA tested.

One sample came back positive for long staple cotton, proving that rumor was true, Unfortunately - I was right about no one, other than the fellow denim nerds caring about any of this....So there was no collaboration between the 2 companies.

Still cool to have the answer to that long standing rumor.
CSL View Drop Down
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CSL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 5:22pm
What would it have taken to make something like that happen? Could a smaller manufacturer have pulled it off?
Sansome View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sansome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by CSL CSL wrote:

What would it have taken to make something like that happen? Could a smaller manufacturer have pulled it off?

Well- it looks like Supima cotton was used at cone, and the black seed denim Roy used was the long staple Supima cotton...Thing is, when Levi gets involved, a whole bunch of Supima long staple cotton is used.
CSL View Drop Down
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CSL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 9:08pm
Right. Thanks for clarifying.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic