denimbro Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Denimbro > Denimbro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hawaiian sport shirts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlueTrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hawaiian sport shirts
    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 at 1:03pm
I didn't find a thread about Hawaiian sport shirts, so here's a new thread.

What makes a Hawaiian sport shirt an "authentic" Hawaiian sport shirt? Ultimately, I suppose it has to be made in Hawai'i (by Hawaiians?). But is there a particular fabric that it has to be before it's authentic?

By the way, we're planning a trip there this summer.
Sansome View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sansome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2020 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by BlueTrain BlueTrain wrote:

I didn't find a thread about Hawaiian sport shirts, so here's a new thread.

What makes a Hawaiian sport shirt an "authentic" Hawaiian sport shirt? Ultimately, I suppose it has to be made in Hawai'i (by Hawaiians?). But is there a particular fabric that it has to be before it's authentic?

By the way, we're planning a trip there this summer.

Sorry- I’m not much help in this department.
Excalipoor View Drop Down
raw
raw

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Excalipoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2020 at 5:17pm
The origin story is not very clear so take it as it is. The oldest Aloha shirts were tailored and apparently made from kimono fabric (silk). When Aloha shirts started to catch popularity in the 50's, Rayon was the most used fabric to make aloha shirts and IMO Rayon aloha shirts are what many consider authentic Hawaiian shirts.

Here is an interesting read on the history

It is the details IMO like the cut, buttons, collar and print that make it an authentic Hawaiian shirt

Some info on identifying vintage Aloha shirts 

Sansome View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sansome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2020 at 6:31pm
Thanks for the brief history on the shirts- I picked 3 up a few months ago, thrifting, they looked 60’s, but I’m not totally
Sure about the age.
CSL View Drop Down
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CSL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2020 at 10:27pm
I agree with Excalipoor. Rayon is the best fabric. Usually the good stuff features a strong texture almost like linen. This is what Sunsurf & other good repro brands are imitating. 
Other features worth mentioning are the collar size & shape which is a good way of determining what era the shirt is from. 
Some would say a matched pocket is a mark of quality. i.e. where the the pocket has been cut so the decorative pattern lines up exactly with the fabric on the shirt body.
Sansome View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sansome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2020 at 11:09pm
I have my three vintage shirts for sale down at my vintage booth- there not selling, so ill yank them tomorrow- take some pics and post them.
CSL View Drop Down
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CSL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2020 at 11:24pm
OK. Curious to see what you have there.
Sansome View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sansome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2020 at 11:48pm
booth by bottleswest, on Flickr

A little side hobby of mine. It pays for what i want to collect.
I'll dig them out of here.
CSL View Drop Down
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CSL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2020 at 10:58am
Is that in Orange?
Sansome View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sansome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2020 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by CSL CSL wrote:

Is that in Orange?

Yes- the historic orange circle, you would feel right at home.
The Orange circle has the only roundabout in the city of Orange.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic