FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1876 Chinese impact report

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Sansome View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sansome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 10:08am
Originally posted by Duke Duke wrote:

You need some Europeans to discuss American racist legislation?

Ok, I’m game, but throw me a bone, how many employees did Levi’s have in the late 19th century?

I knew you were game and that’s one of the reasons why, I’m determined to get it posted.
Let’s see- Levi set up a small, 30 white women factory in SF in the early 70’s. This seems to be some kind of cover, 30 women can’t possibly make 500,000 jackets and waist overall per year.
This is where the investigation comes in ( but its not in this report) A man in this report, was assigned the task of finding out, what companies were using Chinese labor, and that’s when the truth about Levi came out.
Levi has 30 non Chinese ( the small white women factory) and 180 Chinese, this is who most likely, is making those big number of trousers.

This report goes into detail, how the Chinese labor system worked.
Levi didn’t have to my knowledge, 180 Chinese working in some factory, this was contracted out.

One of the many gripes back then, is that a Chinese man could survive on 7 cents a day,
A white man needed between $1:50-2.00 a day to sustain himself.

This report has so many interesting aspects, and wide ranging testimony

One thing they make clear- this is a Christian white mans country, those aren’t my words

It’s in the report.

Edited by Sansome - 09 Nov 2019 at 9:01pm
Duke View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 1:46am
You need some Europeans to discuss American racist legislation?

Ok, I’m game, but throw me a bone, how many employees did Levi’s have in the late 19th century?
I don't swim. I can swim. I just don't have much cause to do so in the normal run of things.
attackwithstones View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote attackwithstones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 12:01pm
Hence the sketchy pocket bag stamps featuring the words “white labor”
Sell me your Mister Freedom stuff. :)
Sansome View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sansome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 6:44am
In the 1870’s -80’s, Levi and most of their competition was using Chinese labor.

Thanks for posting the photos

Edited by Sansome - 08 Nov 2019 at 10:38pm
Iron Horse View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote Iron Horse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2019 at 11:45pm
Were Levi's or other makers using Chinese labor at that time?

I'm reading the report now, had never heard of it, though I knew of the Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882 and general Yellow Peril ideas. One of my Big Yank ads from the 1920s was cut from a magazine and on the back there's an op-ed arguing against Chinese and Japanese immigration to the US, for example.

Photos bring up some interesting clothing, interiors, architecture, of course:

Sansome View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sansome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 9:56am
Originally posted by Maynard Fried-San Maynard Fried-San wrote:

...and use up the last of the remaining (probably recently freed-up) storage by doing so?! 

Plus, after spending all that time uploading it, what's to stop a rogue mod from deleting it afterwards? LOL

Safeguards are put in place
Maynard Fried-San View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Maynard Fried-San Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 9:33am
...and use up the last of the remaining (probably recently freed-up) storage by doing so?! 

Plus, after spending all that time uploading it, what's to stop a rogue mod from deleting it afterwards? LOL
Helixing my inner beanie
Sansome View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sansome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 9:04am
I’ve always thought this would provoke some interesting conversation- a chance for our UK bros to shine.
I’m thinking you can pluck out the gems and post a few pages at a time.
Who ever is up to this task- you have my word- I will have it out in the mail, by Wednesday of next week
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic