Forum Home Forum Home > Denimbro > Denimbro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Wellbeing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 20>
Author
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double 0 Soul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2019 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by Maynard Fried-San Maynard Fried-San wrote:

Such a jackass...

Shud'up you! i'm trying to save the forum
I'll endorse anything for cash
hollows View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote hollows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2019 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by robroy robroy wrote:

I would think first and foremost image hosting should be relegated to external sources.

I tend to agree on this point, external hosting isn't foolproof or eternal (as we've seen with photobucket outages a few times), but for the long term health of the forum it doesn't seem unreasonable to ask members to determine their own reliable image hosting situation. There seem to be a lot of good and free options out there.

Originally posted by Double 0 Soul Double 0 Soul wrote:

When you say 'costly' can we have a rough costimate?

This isn't something I have an answer to right now. I can look into it if it's what the people want, but it feels like hosting everything on-site in a permanent archive will just create a recurring problem.

Recovering the lost data is key

Unfortunately it doesn't sound like this can be done, at least not through WebWiz. It's possible that some of the threads can be accessed through 3rd party web archives, but bringing that info back to the site would be extremely laborious. Anyone interested in re-making a thread based on one of these web archives is welcome to do so (using external hosting for any images). But getting the threads and individual posts back intact can't be done. I know this is disappointing, but 'tis the way it is. The criteria for the deleted threads was everything without activity in the last year, no specific content was targeted for removal.

They often need some form of gentle honing to reach the denim-promiseland, we shouldn't let terrible fits fly through fears of being branded a bully.

Originally posted by Duke Duke wrote:

My only request is that the truth be always told - server space, costs and especially fit … if it looks shit you should be told - it's a Denimbro speciality and keeps things real. You can't make an omelette etc ...

I appreciate these sentiments (and seeing nice fits) but there is a very fine line between critique and bullying, and a healthy forum requires us to have SOME regard for the feelings of the person whose choices we're discussing, and it does no good to simply proclaim that anyone with hurt feelings is too sensitive. 

We don't want to hone our way to a sartotial monoculture any more than we already have. The criteria for a good post needn't be "would I wear this?" Variety is a very good thing.

Keep in mind that at any given time there are FAR more "lurkers" on the site than active members. 11 members vs 33 guests as of this writing. 

I do believe that the forum has a reputation for being elitist/snobbish, and that this reputation is not entirely undeserved. There tends to be little tolerance for deviations from our formula, and that scares off a lot of would-be contributors before they even sign up. The pool of regular posters is VERY small lately, and a little kindness could go a long way towards promoting growth and renewed interest.

It feels ridiculous to ask a group of (mostly) middle aged (mostly) men to exercise basic kindness, but the forum dies without that, regardless of storage limits. Do your best to keep the criticism constructive, and if someone calls you an asshole, resist the urge to feel like they just don't understand your charming ways. It might be both.
I make things out of leather.
hollows View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote hollows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2019 at 2:02pm
There are some older snapshots of the forum archived here, if anyone is looking to recover specific content:

I make things out of leather.
Double 0 Soul View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double 0 Soul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2019 at 2:03pm
See hollows this is why you're a moderator.

I think we've done pretty well over these last few years to pull ourselves away from those denim-miner (bro-formula) cosplay days there are much fewer fit-pics nowadays but much more variety in both style and brands..
i wear shoes with cats on for goodness sake.
I'll endorse anything for cash
Duke View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2019 at 3:06pm
Yeah - I understand the message you're selling Hollows (other than seeing DB as somehow unique in forums - it's not), and moderation is crucial. But let's not fall victim to confirmation bias and the associated fallacies.

The challenge is finding where to draw a line as opposed not drawing one. Indeed the very act of posting is a purposeful method to invoking a response and so an opinion. The originator must then also respect the views of the commentator - this is an area that's far too often ignored in the headlong rush towards 'fairness'.

As Stephen Fry once said “It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what."
I don't swim. I can swim. I just don't have much cause to do so in the normal run of things.
julian-wolf View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote julian-wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2019 at 3:11pm

Originally posted by julian-wolf julian-wolf wrote:

It would really be a shame too see a text-based forum, of all website-types, go by the wayside due to space constraints. The only thing on the whole site that takes up any space is the locally-hosted images, and it shouldn’t be difficult at all to automate hosting those elsewhere—a quick google search shows that imgur has a public API, which would probably do most of the work for us. Deleting information is never the right approach in an age when space can be had for so cheap. At worst, it should be periodically shuffled around a bit.

I don’t have any experience with programming web stuff, but I would be happy to help out if no one else has the time / feels comfortable doing so.

This^ post fills me with a lot of hope.
Julian- Can you elaborate further/offer some advice and possibly answer a few questions.. y'know in exchange for all that good SugarCane info Wink

There's not much to add beyond what's already been said. A single image takes up more space than a hundred pages' worth of text-only posts (or posts with externally-hosted images), so the first thing to do to cut down on space shouldn't be blindly deleting threads, but deleting—or, better, re-hosting—locally-hosted images.

Conceptually, re-hosting is really simple: search the site for locally-hosted images, re-host them elsewhere, replace the local links with the new external links, and delete the stored images. Processes like this are very amenable to automation, and with some trial and error it shouldn't be too difficult to set up for our case here.

It's absurd to think that there wouldn't be a backup anywhere of what's already gone, but if that's how it is then that's how it is.
mr randal View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN
MDLD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote mr randal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2019 at 3:29pm
Hi guys, long time no see.

I'm going to suspend forum activity in a few moments for a 24 hour cooling off period.

When we open back up I invite you all to post your thoughts in this thread on whether Denimbro should continue as a forum. When comments seem to have run their course, Hollows, Sansome and I will read through, discuss, and decide whether we think Denimbro should go on. If we agree that it does, hollows will make arrangements for the appropriate data package/ image hosting scheme, select some new moderators, and things will proceed.

I will not be engaging with comment, just reviewing.

Here's some of the things we will be looking at:

- do you think DB is still relevant and can continue to be so?

- what personal gain do you receive from interacting on the forum?

- does the marketplace serve as a useful resource for you?

- do you feel the site balance between information and personality content is acceptable?

- do you have any concerns about bullying? Do you feel dismissed or condescended to by any particular members with problematic frequency? No names or specifics need be mentioned.

- are you an even-tempered, thoughtful person who would be willing to act as a moderator?

A more general and less site specific question-

- do denim specific clothing fora still have an audience in the post peak heritage era?

Thanks!

mr randal View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN
MDLD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote mr randal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2019 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by Duke Duke wrote:

Yeah - I understand the message you're selling Hollows (other than seeing DB as somehow unique in forums - it's not), and moderation is crucial. But let's not fall victim to confirmation bias and the associated fallacies.

The challenge is finding where to draw a line as opposed not drawing one. Indeed the very act of posting is a purposeful method to invoking a response and so an opinion. The originator must then also respect the views of the commentator - this is an area that's far too often ignored in the headlong rush towards 'fairness'.

As Stephen Fry once said “It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what."

Was Mama Anarchia hired to write this verbose non-statement?
mr randal View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN
MDLD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (7) Thanks(7)   Quote mr randal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2019 at 3:43pm

See hollows this is why you're a moderator.

I think we've done pretty well over these last few years to pull ourselves away from those denim-miner (bro-formula) cosplay days there are much fewer fit-pics nowadays but much more variety in both style and brands..
i wear shoes with cats on for goodness sake.

This kind of jovially purposeful misunderstanding and spin is not useful.

One question I specifically am asking myself is: can Denimbro be a balanced, welcoming forum or is it becoming a personal blog with an extensive comments section and a preferred peanut gallery?

I never did know exactly what to do with you- you are the King of Mixed Bags. On the one hand charismatic, warm, knowledgeable, party starter and poster of wonderfully down to earth yet sharply thought out content.
 On the other hand- a true diva, aggressive with opinions and personal dislikes, a puck-like dual desire to cozy up to and undermine authority, and a briar patch of denials and rationalizations when confronted with your own bad behavior.

You are at once the glue holding the forum together now and its biggest source of conflict.

mr randal View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN
MDLD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mr randal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2019 at 3:47pm
Okay, the forum is unlocked.

Let's hear thoughts on its future.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 20>
  Share Topic