denimbro Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Denimbro > Denimbro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Small Questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 272273274275276 308>
Author
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 3:03pm
Thanks Double O. Much improved with new knits & zipper.
John B
Denimetc View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denimetc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by Denimetc Denimetc wrote:

Anyone here going to Amsterdam Denim Days next weekend? I happen to be only couple hours away so might stop by on Saturday.

Long overdue post but It was great to meet Slab2 and Ongaku couple of weeks ago in Amsterdam  and to put faces into avatar's! (and Ongaku looks exactly like his avatar btwWink)
Too much Denim - too little time...
SLAB2 View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SLAB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 11:45pm
really, it was a fun meet up; wish I had more time to hang with you guys Thumbs Up
ongaku View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ongaku Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2018 at 4:53am
Same here! I also wish I had more time, next time leave the wife and kids at home, Slab
You guys did not look at all like your avatars, glad I recognized you guys from your fitpics..
BlueTrain View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote BlueTrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 6:50am
Strictly speaking, "vintage" is a winemaking term. But I only speak strictly some of the time.

For clothing and footwear, however, I tend to think of vintage as something from before when I can remember it being a currently available item, both new or as surplus (but not used), and I'm 72. But that doesn't mean I can remember things very clearly, much less accurately. As an example, I do remember when most men still wore hats regularly, the kind with wide brims,  especially when dressed up and when suit jackets did not have a vent in the back.
robroy View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 6:54pm
Can anybody tell me the logic of a pocket like this. I believe they’re called window pane pockets but I can’t figure out the purpose of them.

julian-wolf View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julian-wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 7:48pm
Seems to be a similar goal to adding a pleat to the front, but along a different dimension: means the bottom of the pocket can pull out to be deeper than the effectively-1D seam, at the expense of some width.
julian-wolf View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julian-wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 7:56pm
I don't really like them much; I've only had one shirt with that sort of pocket, but I found that things caught a bit on the inner seam whenever I tried to put them in too vigorously…but maybe that's just a sign that I should calm down some with the pocket insertions.
Iron Horse View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Iron Horse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 8:48pm
It’s a “sweat-proof” pocket to keep one’s cigarette pack dry. The idea is that the cig pack sits in a pocket that doesn’t rest directly against a sweaty shirt. Big Yank used it most famously. The other larger pocket on the other side of the shirt could also hold a tobacco tin and rolling papers.
Iron Horse View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Iron Horse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 9:02pm
Here are some examples from 1930s Big Yank ads (Big Yank most famously used this pocket combo):

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 272273274275276 308>
  Share Topic