show us around your neighborhood

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Double 0 Soul View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Double 0 Soul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 10:55am
Aye, don't let my inner-city post skew, it does show a distinct lack of greenery but Sheffield does have more trees per person than any other city in Europe, 4.5 million.
HP Sauce View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HP Sauce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 5:50am
That's better, Bartleby. At some point, I will attempt to use my new camera to show you the little beasties who wave to me from the forest in our backyard.

Hint: they wear little robber masks and are rumoured to be running in several local municipal elections to formally confirm that they run the show anyway.
HP Sauce
bartlebyyphonics View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote bartlebyyphonics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 5:39am
OK OK
we have nice parks too...
eye cleansing of the gritz
big green spaces remain around areas like charlton
[oh, but don't worry... https://www.homesandproperty.co.uk/property-news/surprisingly-close-to-canary-wharf-south-london-hotspot-charlton-is-full-of-untapped-potential-a117896.html ]

but also even in zone 2 lots of trees and pastoral-experience-zones (formally known as parks) can be found if you want a Romantic framing of refrance...

+ a bonus urban squirrel for jollies [begging for nuts or iphones]

HP Sauce View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HP Sauce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 5:05am
Fellas, where's the green? Where's the pleasant? The only hint of floral exuberance on this page seems to come from 00's snap of the bullied little Kelham Tavern.

Quite right, this is heartless and mindless development.
HP Sauce
bartlebyyphonics View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote bartlebyyphonics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 1:32am
nice post indeed double O: you win the deed to the internet right back
less extensive, but showing the ubiquity of said blocks that seem to be exponentially expanding
surrounding the weird waiting booth where my sub-par fit pix are made (on a station platform awaiting a train swap)
more cubes grow on the sites of post-industry...  
from one form of container to another...
[edit: to give context; this is a stretch of rochester and chatham's long un-used riverside once home to docks and the like now becoming riverside apartments... check the council link: a whole 25% of this allowed to affordable housing in one of the most deprived areas of the south east; very generous... https://www.medway.gov.uk/info/200177/regeneration/461/rochester_riverside ]

Edited by bartlebyyphonics - 02 Nov 2018 at 3:09am
Duke View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 12:16am
I can see the good and bad to these city developments but, for me, one of the saddest parts is how ambivalent the designs are.

Many of those shots could be taken in any city in the UK

That aside, great post that tells more of your story.
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double 0 Soul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 11:38pm
Thanks Martin

Its hard to imagine how some of the 'artisan' hipster joints at Kelham Island make a living but the puppet masters in this whole charade are developers like West One who bought up the industrial buildings (with cash from the flats which they built on West St, i assume so they didn't have to pay tax on the profits) for next to nowt after the decline/outsourcing of the 00's, tart them up and offer them to hipsters for a massively reduced rent on a short term lease, the hipsters bring in the middle classes/money then after 12months they get a rent hike which if successful in their business they pay to extend the lease, if not they move out, It lifts the area and WestOne's portfolio increases in value, its inevitable that the chains will move in when the hipsters can't afford the rent.
Its the same with the flats, non of them are privately owned they're all owned by letting agencies/Chinese investors but even those built 10 years ago are already showing signs of neglect i don't think the Velocity building has ever had the windows cleaned..but hey, there's a brand new shiny glass cube just around the corner.
The 'art deco' factory (Record Ridgway) has been abandoned for years, (there used to be raves in there) because some London solicitors bought the 100 year lease to the land 10 years ago so the building will revert to their ownership in the coming months.

Maynard Fried-San View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Maynard Fried-San Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 3:03pm
Very good post Neal. I think you’d like my undergraduate dissertation on the gentrification of a staunchly working-class riverside area of East London through the re-purposing of former industrial buildings (warehouses) into residential spaces, which I wrote in 1989!
Helixing my inner beanie
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (8) Thanks(8)   Quote Double 0 Soul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 2:22pm

Edited by Double 0 Soul - 28 Oct 2019 at 1:37am
I'll endorse anything for cash
smoothsailor View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote smoothsailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2018 at 10:57am
nice town Duke
dislectic
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic