denimbro Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Denimbro > Brands
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Rite Stuff

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
Author
raw
raw

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by Iron Horse Iron Horse wrote:

Lim, I think you mean this shirt (this ad is in the mail on the way to me too :)

To my knowledge no, I've never seen anyone repro this shirt as a popover. Something for me to consider making. :D

That's the one! Have seen RRL versions that had the double yoke/elbows and were popover style, but the pockets/placket were also different and the chinstrap shape may have been different. An accurate repro with selvedge gussets would be amazing
Iron Horse View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iron Horse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 11:58pm
Success, found pictures of an original thanks to the always-awesome Mushroom Vintage; someone bought it, but I don't know who:

And a khaki one courtesy of Denimfoundry that's been beat to hell:

And the box these shirts likely came in; the faded border around the logo reads "Registered US Patent Office, Patented Dec. 24th, 1912":

Edited by Iron Horse - 04 Jul 2017 at 3:57am
lim View Drop Down
raw
raw

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2017 at 3:29am

Here's a close up of the tag from the bottom pic. I believe they are from the same source.
Interesting to note that patent says 1912 on this pullover style, nearly 20 yrs before the Champion patent.
lim View Drop Down
raw
raw

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2017 at 3:34am

take 2: here we go Smile
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iron Horse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2017 at 3:58am
You're right, it's 1912, I accidentally read 1917. That's crazy early really, but then again the 1910s are an era that remains relatively obscure in terms of this kind of clothing.
lim View Drop Down
raw
raw

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2017 at 6:08am
Come to think it, weren't most pre 1930s shirts either pullover style or 5 button with the placket that would scoop out towards the hem (best example I can think of is the MF cpo)?I guess that would make sense for the pullover to predate the "coat style" versions?
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iron Horse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2017 at 6:28am
I'm not sure what percentage of work shirts pre-30s would have been pull-overs and or scooped; it's possible that it's most yes, but I still see examples of some that aren't, like this one from the 1920s:

Here you see two men with pullovers, and one with a placket that goes all the way down:

whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Iron Horse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 6:18pm
Just a heads up to Canadians, it's taking at least 3-4 weeks for anything I send from here to reach Canadian customers, apparently Canadian customs is taking a very long time to go through parcels from Asia:

http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/canada-post-reveals-it-is-the-reason-for-lengthy-parcel-delays-1.3447438

Better to order through our stockist in Canada, The Shop Vancouver, for the foreseeable future.

whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Iron Horse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 5:33pm
I already posted this on Sufu, but fair warning that I've decided to start a blog for the brand

I'll focus on the story behind The Rite Stuff, the process of making products, inspiration, and other background for choices made. It will change your life, believe me.*

*OK, probably not, but I have to say that.
Mr. Q View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mr. Q Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2017 at 9:41am
Great read! Looking forward to the next posts. Any plans to make the shirt in other colors?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
  Share Topic