Forum Home Forum Home > Denimbro > Denimbro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tech Fabrics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote massivebonanza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2016 at 5:51am
Very interesting articles, thanks mate.

It's a shame that the Patagonia Corporate Responsibility page linked in Pt2 is no longer available, however an interesting post in their blog concerning ethics in wool production to some extent echoes a point concerning outsourcing to third world countries, that being whether it is better to change from within or to turn and walk away. Anyway, here's the blog entry - patagonia blog petas-wool-video

I'm not watching the video though as I wouldn't be able to stomach it, and there's no need to see it to understand what's going on.

edit - one lingering thought from those articles you posted brings to mind comments occasionally made here where members maintain their support for a particular country of manufacture as satisfying their personal social responsibility perspective - quite oblivious to a possible alternative reality concerning the source of the materials that went into the final 'domestic' country of origin sew job.

Edited by massivebonanza - 24 Sep 2016 at 6:08am
Double 0 Soul View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Double 0 Soul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 1:24am
Thread needs a bump

I stumbled across these chaps from West Yorkshire making made to measure or off the peg shirts in Merino or Corduroy & Moleskin treated what they are calling 'PlasmaDry'

The blurb is all a bit too much for me but the shirts look incredibly well made.

http://mcnairshirts.com/the-story-of-a-merino-wool-shirt/

Maynard Fried-San View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Maynard Fried-San Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 2:36am
Cheers Double 0, funnily enough I've been (mildly) interested in this sort of thing for a while and would like to see more natural fibres in use rather than some of the hideous and environmentally damaging tech designs (admittedly there's lots of good/ethical tech stuff too). I particularly like the corduroy workshirt.

I have loads of merino jumpers and when I used to ski, I would always wear a Smedley turtleneck as a base layer (I picked loads up in the early 90s from the Lea Mills factory shop, now available online).
Helixing my inner beanie
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Double 0 Soul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 2:59am
Me too, ive got a pair of 400g Merino Woolpower mits that are well over a decade old, they have become a little misshapen but i have'nt washed them or cared for them in the slightest. I also wear a 200g Woolpower turtleneck base layer and long-johns to get me through the winter. The terry-loop underside is fantastic at capturing warm air, the Merino is soft against the skin and doesn't hold stink like man made fibre.

Also great for tent wear when its cold and you need to venture out for a wee in the night.
aho View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote aho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2017 at 5:30pm
Been wearing my Level 7 Extreme Cold Weather parka made by Wild Things (military surplus) the past few days and can definitely recommend it. It comes in various prints depending on which branch of military you're buying (USMC = Marpat or Coyote, Army = Multicam, Airforce = ABU, Civilian = grey); and being Level 7, is rated to -15 degrees farenheit. Made with Primaloft and EPIC fabric, its high tech, super light and non-restrictive, and of course super warm, like wearing a sleeping bag. 

http://www.wildthingsgear.com/collections/cold-weather-insulation/products/high-loft-jacket-1?variant=1265178983

You can buy it for about 1/3 that price by buying military surplus though, which is an excellent deal. Sizing is huge, I started with a medium, but ended up taking an extra small for a proper fit. Figured, why mess with WWII repros and restrictive layers that can't keep me warm under 30 degrees when I could wear modern military tech, stay warm and still be comfortable? Berry compliant to boot!
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Double 0 Soul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2018 at 12:28pm
To save me from certain death on the dark mornings i bought a Sugoi reflective jacket from Infinite Cycles in Utah, it was old stock reduced from $109 to $25.

Its amazing tech, they've screen printed minute crushed glass beads onto the waterproof surface.

6' away it looks like any old blue waterproof jacket but close up it looks like this.

This is the black version.

Shine a car headlight at it and...waoh!

...its crazy shit, i probably wont look too dope (from a Denimbro perspective) but at least i'll be alive... fingers crossed.

Damn HMRC charged me £24.13 on a $25 jacket, Flipping scandalous!

Edited by Double 0 Soul - 02 Dec 2018 at 1:06am
Daniel View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 11:41am
Post your rain jacket!

And recommend good, affordable rainshells as well, please. I’m in the market for one.
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Double 0 Soul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 11:57am
Have a look into Paramo, i'm a big fan of their directional fabrics and their ethics

Daniel View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 1:11pm
I like what I’m seeing there
hollows View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hollows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 2:22pm
I like the look of their poncho a lot, I could definitely see uses for that hiking/biking in rainy Oregon.

I'm usually VERY dubious of these "benevolent capitalism" claims from clothing manufacturers but this is an impressive backstory and mission. Thanks for the link!

I make things out of leather.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
  Share Topic