Forum Home Forum Home > Denimbro > Denimbro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tech Fabrics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Double 0 Soul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 1:59am
There is something about a thumb loop that gives me a warm comforting sense of security that comes from no other item of clothing, am i the only one?

I remember... years ago seeing for the first time a Berghaus gore membrane sewn between a fleece inner and a herringbone wool outer on a jacket by Clarke & Teller (a short lived affair, they both worked at the bank and branched out into the clothing industry) now it seems a lot of country clothing (tweed) that i see at Brocklehursts also incorperates a membrane for those well dressed gents working out in the field, even tweed flat caps.

This is another crossover option from White's Mountaineering.

Stick another 37 pockets on there and you could easily mistake it for Freewheelers Wink
Maynard Fried-San View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Maynard Fried-San Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 3:57am
^ Clarke & Teller
Bravo, sadly just too late for the Edinburgh fringe one-liner award!

EDIT: branched out too!

Edited by Maynard Fried-San - 24 Aug 2016 at 5:02am
Helixing my inner beanie
Double 0 Soul View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Double 0 Soul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 5:23am
Tragically maynard its all true. There was two guys (around the mid 00,s) who worked in the same bank as... you've guessed it, They started up a clothing label and put a collection together, smart shirts, outerwear ect. It lasted 2 seasons and they went back to their day jobs.
How they managed to swing Berghaus as a backer i do not know?
I will post an image of the jacket "Clerk & Teller Craic" when im back on a computer from this century.

Edit- Here we go, Clerk & Teller Berghaus, It also came in Pewter gray herringbone.

Edited by Double 0 Soul - 24 Aug 2016 at 9:57am
Mr. Q View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Q Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 3:28pm
Anything with 3 layers is usually pretty good. Nanamica, Arcteryx Veilance, White Mountaineering. All great stuff but usually pretty expensive. 

For a bit less, check out Snow Peak, Isaora, Minotaur - they often have some great looking jackets at much better prices.

Also, I have a BR M-51 made from a Ventile-ish material. Suprisingly it does work well in stormy conditions! Even though the outer layer was drenched, I stayed dry, but with all the water absorbed, the jacket does start to feel really heavy.
illumin8em View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote illumin8em Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2016 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by hollows hollows wrote:

I was thinking of starting a similar thread, as I now live in a climate with rainy winters, I need to get a "serious" rain jacket.

By "serious" I mean actually waterproof, with no functional concessions to old-timey charm (waxed canvas/tin cloth).  I've been looking at rubberized cotton from Stutterheim:

I'm curious about Ventile, but skeptical that it's really water "proof".

Any other suggestions welcome.

I'm likely going to be in the same boat and have been wondering the same. I've always left it up to the people who live and work in the weather conditions regularly that I'm looking to shield myself from, and just followed thier advice. I've never been cold or wet in winter thanks to snowboarding. Years ago, following the bushcraft community, I looked into Ventile by Hilltrek, specifically their smocks. I needed it to translate to kayak tours but just didn't feel confident in the waterproof merit of it at the time. Now I'm mostly troubled with what works well for bicycle commuting.

check these review links, you have something in common with the fella in the first link

http://www.hilltrek.co.uk/three-days-on-pikes-peak-in-the-rain-ventile-cotton-analog/

http://www.hilltrek.co.uk/blog/liathach-cotton-analogy-ventileextreme-smock/

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=130537
hollows View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hollows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2016 at 5:21pm
Ha, the Hunq in common definitely helps me envision it.

I think I may be convinced as to the effectiveness of ventile now, but I already have a Nanamica cruiser on the way.  I managed to find one in (hopefully) my size on eBay for a reasonable deal, so hopefully that works out.  I'll report back soon.
I make things out of leather.
dwarffruit View Drop Down
crocked
crocked

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwarffruit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2016 at 8:24pm
Great thread! I'll put in a good word for Outlier here.

I wish it got cold enough in California to justify either of these:

Duffle Coat

Bomber Jacket

Edited by dwarffruit - 14 Sep 2016 at 7:57pm
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double 0 Soul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2016 at 1:02am
That bomber in olive looks great in that material^

For the repair of man made fabrics i can vouch for Tear-Aid Type-A i used to repair puncture holes and tears with something akin to a bicycle puncture repair kit but this stuff is easy to apply, inconspicuous and works an absolute charm in the wet.

Ishmael View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ishmael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2016 at 4:28am
This might not count as a tech fabric, but it looks great to me. NC calls it halftex, apparently a spun nylon that looks like cotton. They are using it on a quite a few products this year.

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/speedway-shop/80330030001-olive/
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double 0 Soul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2016 at 12:38am
Having recently seen Fjallraven's and Haglofs new range of 'Eco' waterproofs, i wondered what made them so environmentally friendly? (In this case they do actually use recycled polyester with zero fluorocarbons) knowing that Fjallraven outsource their labour to Vietnam, Korea and China i found myself on their wince inducing 'responsibility' page. No mention of outsourcing around here?

Eventually i ventured onto their "Workplace Safety" page which proudly highlights the Swedish village Nikkaluokta still no mention of Asia anywhere...

I did find these two articles on 'ethical hiking gear' that are well worth a read.
Made in wherever Pt1
Part2 is quite interesting.
Made in wherever Pt2

Edited by Double 0 Soul - 24 Sep 2016 at 12:58am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
  Share Topic