denimbro Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Denimbro > Life aside from denim
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Ye Olde Sayings Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Bob Dale View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

GRAIL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Dale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2016 at 9:28pm
^ I always heard - you don't know shit from shinola - mostly from easterners or veterans

'you got moxie kid.' Moxie : spunk ,determination, -- from the soda , if you can drink one and want a second ; '

'Mind your p's and q's ' -- be on your best behavior

''Sunday go to meeting(outfit) " -- your best clothes , even my non- church attending aunts and uncles would refer to dress clothes of any spade as 'Sunday go to meeting.'

'That's a horse of a different color' -- that's a different thing entirely, that won't do

'That dog won't hunt.' -- you're full of shit , you're caught

You're barking up the wrong tree - I don't care

Dont take any wooden nickels - be prudent

' Cruise the poo ' -- this one is very specific to Shawnee, OK . The main drag in town is 'Kickapoo' and the teenagers cruise it on Fridays and Saturdays . I worked at a summer camp near there and early into my first year had a , rather attractive girl I'd been eying me if I wanted to cruise the poo with her and some of her girlfriends -- needless to say my 13 year old face turned 80 shades of red ... And then a few hours later I sat in a parking lot while they smoked and we ate at Sonic .

Dr_Heech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dr_Heech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 12:31pm
"It's better than a slap round the face with a wet fish" - It's better than nothing.

"You cant polish a turd" - That's the best you're going to make of it, so don't waste any more time.

"Are you talking to me, or you chewing a brick?" - Please be clear about what you are trying to convey, as I'm finding it difficult to understand you.

Double 0 Soul View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Double 0 Soul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 1:03pm
You cant make a silk purse out of a sow's ear = If your materials are cheap, your finished product will be shit.
Flash View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Flash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 1:09pm
"if your granny had balls she'd have been your granda"   no idea what it means but remember my dad's old mate Fred always said it 

Edit .... found an explanation 

The saying illustrates the absurdity in operating in "ifs." The fact that it is so terribly important to you to engage in "ifs" instead of the reality of the current situation says much more about you then it does about anything else.
Bob Dale View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

GRAIL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bob Dale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 1:29pm
"If ifs and buts were candy and nuts everyday would be Christmas."

'When God said brains they heard trains , and got upset because they weren't going anywhere."

Maynard Fried-San View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Maynard Fried-San Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 1:55pm
Continuing the theme..,
"If ifs and ands were pots and pans, there'd be no need for tinkers".
Helixing my inner beanie
Double 0 Soul View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Double 0 Soul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 2:02am
Thats a new one for me^

I was born after decimalisation (hard to believe i know) but i remember as a young'un going to the village shops with my grandparents and they were still struggling to make the transition almost 10years later. I would be in the butchers shop having to count out the dosh from my nan's purse. They wasn't even that old, possibly late 60,s and they lived a further 17 years. Hard to believe in the days of foreign travel where you make the transition to another currency in just a few days.

Dosh terms from back when.
Nicker = Pound note
Bob = Shilling
Tanner = Six penny piece
Threpney bit (Thrupence) = Three pence piece
A'penie = Half penny

They saved their pre-decimal currency for years later expecting it to one day revert back.
"It'll never work"
Mr Black View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mr Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 4:27am
Bit of hows yer father!= Slap & tickle

Gertcha cow son. = Get out of it, you son of a cow.
(I never thought anyone other than Chas n Dave said this, but I heard it muttered by an old east-end gent a while back)

www.sidewinderapparel.co.uk
Maynard Fried-San View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maynard Fried-San Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 4:57am
As a kid growing up in the East End, my aunt (who, incidentally has a fantastic comedy name) used to say "Gertcha" to me all the time.

"Not the full shilling", was often directed at anyone with learning difficulties or mental health problems. Pre-PC and the era of 'understanding'.
Helixing my inner beanie
oomslokop View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote oomslokop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 5:39am
this is not english (does it have to be english?) but in batavia (colonial tempo doeloe name for jakarta) the indos (halfbloods/mestizo) used to say "let's write a letter in english" and make a writing gesture with their hands when they wanted to take an afternoon nap. Sleepy
rakuten is entertainment
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
  Share Topic