denimbro Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Denimbro > Life aside from denim
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Ye Olde Sayings Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Double 0 Soul View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote Double 0 Soul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Ye Olde Sayings Thread
    Posted: 13 Apr 2016 at 1:43pm
I like the evolution of language but i also like those charming old sayings of yesteryear.

Im sure cultural differences will play a strong part here, so old sayings? post them here...
I will get the ball a rolling.

The Dog Shelf = The floor (the shelf where one would keep ones dog)

Im in Fine Fettle = Im feeling good today

Im at end of my tether = Im very annoyed

Ankle Swingers = Long trousers that are too short (also see trousers at half mast)

Puddled = Mental illness

Cat lick = A quick wash

Deaf as a door nail = Hard of hearing

Tranklements = The paraphernalia carried around on ones person

... be it something your grandparents said? be it naval? be it regional?
Lets hear them?

Bob Dale View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

GRAIL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Bob Dale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2016 at 6:29pm
 common, and maybe not so old

higher than a cats ass - expensive  - usually 'gas went back up, i was across town boy it was higher than a cats ass.'

variant of that is -- 'cats ass' ;  'that's the cat's ass' : tip top, best, very cool.

finer than frog hair -- doing well

whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Double 0 Soul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2016 at 9:47pm
That's hillarious bob, its Dogs Bollocks here.

Its the Dogs Bollocks = Its the best

He's as bent as a dogs hind leg = A rather unsavoury character.

He's as straight as a die = An honest chap

Edited by Double 0 Soul - 13 Apr 2016 at 9:57pm
Duke Mantee View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Duke Mantee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2016 at 11:38pm
Haud yer wheesht = Be quiet
We're a' Jock Tamson's bairns = We are all God's children / we are all equal
A nod's as guid as a wink tae a blind horse = A gentle rebuke to someone not being clear on what they say
Lang may yer lum reek = A wish for a long and healthy life
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Double 0 Soul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2016 at 1:35am
I was looking forward to your contribution Duke.

Skidaddle = Run away quickly

Sling thi 'ook (sling your hook) = Please go away

Cubby hole = A small cupboard

Flittin = Moving house

He dun't know whether e's on this earth or Fullers = Possible Meth user

Ropey (Im feeling a bit ropey) = Im hungover
Flash View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Flash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2016 at 2:12am
What's the Crack ? - how are you

Yer head's lit - you are crazy

I'm away for a dander - I'm going for a walk

Take yer self off - go away
Duke Mantee View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Duke Mantee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2016 at 3:28am
What's fur ye'll no go past ye - Que sera sera

In a slightly different aspect there are two sayings that are probably more Glaswegian than anything else and both use the word 'aye' in a negative and sarcastic way. These are usually used when someone is a bit of a blowhard or is boasting e.g.

If you're being told a preposterous story about some person or thing then the response would be 'Aye, right' so two positives making a negative;

Or if the braggart himself is telling you about some fantastic exploit then the response would be 'Did ye? Aye?' pretty much meaning 'no you didn't'

Majormajor View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Majormajor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2016 at 3:53am
Some more  (West)Yorkshire expressions:

"Ee, a can't thoyle t'brass for yon" - I could afford that, but it's too expensive for me...(often used in relation to Japanese Leather Jackets)....

"Don't be maunjy" - cheer up...

"Tha's nicked" - You are crazy....

These might not be Yorkshire, but we say them:

"Anklebiters" - children...

"balmpot" - fool...

massivebonanza View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote massivebonanza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2016 at 5:55am
Fun thread Soul.

Some of you good Yorkshire folk may be familiar with the following soundbite but I'd ask that you don't name it as I pilfered it for prosperity from the site which has now been taken down - so as a result the audio is not mine. However it's too good to loose.

For the rest of you, see if you can figure any out. I'll post the text later if anyone is interested in this. 

I spent many a year in the town, so it's pretty clear, but if you're not from the UK or even just haven't spent any time up North some of them might be a giggle.

Track is private but you can play via the orange/white play symbol to the top left if you're not familiar with sound cloud. Recording begins at 0.04.

Majormajor View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Majormajor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2016 at 6:44am
Originally posted by massivebonanza massivebonanza wrote:

Fun thread Soul.

Some of you good Yorkshire folk may be familiar with the following soundbite but I'd ask that you don't name it as I pilfered it for prosperity from the site which has now been taken down - so as a result the audio is not mine. However it's too good to loose.

For the rest of you, see if you can figure any out. I'll post the text later if anyone is interested in this. 

I spent many a year in the town, so it's pretty clear, but if you're not from the UK or even just haven't spent any time up North some of them might be a giggle.

Track is private but you can play via the orange/white play symbol to the top left if you're not familiar with sound cloud. Recording begins at 0.04.

Sounds like Wakefield or Barnsley - or somewhere in between - and it all sounded crystal clear to me. In fact it could have been me! LOLEmbarrassed
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
  Share Topic