denimbro Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Denimbro > Denim/workwear research
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thrifter's thread: Levi's 501 (1960's-1990's)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 25262728>
Author
raw
raw

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote shiba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 10:57pm
Some 80's Levi's factory code turned out.
512 Brownsville TX
513 Blue RIdge  GA
514 Beaufort SC
515 Centerville TN
Denimetc View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denimetc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2021 at 12:42pm
Somewhere it was stated that the Blue Ridge plant was opened already in 1959

El Paso, TX has been a real Hot Spot for factories, I read 5 different plants (524 Cypress, 511 Kastrin, 522 Lomaland, 525 Eastside and 520 ...)
Too much Denim - too little time...
back_swamp View Drop Down
raw
raw

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote back_swamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2021 at 10:20am
Hi y’all, I’m a frequent visitor to this thread but a first time poster. I found these recently and going off some of the information in this thread they appear to be a 501 from when the small e was first introduced. My guess is they’re some kind of transitional model from 72/73 since they still have the care instructions printed on the pocket bag and there’s some yellow stitching used around the coin pocket and inside the button fly. They measure 36W/26L. The patch is missing and the original hem is gone, but otherwise they are in amazing condition. I can provide more photos if needed.

Edit: my images don’t seem to want to work, so here’s an album

https://imgur.com/a/otWUD1o

Edited by back_swamp - 07 Jul 2021 at 10:40am
Denimetc View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denimetc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2021 at 12:06pm
Great looking pair in nice condition!
Too much Denim - too little time...
Sansome View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sansome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2021 at 9:23pm
Great color- it’s a shame about the hem, I’ve got short wheels- I can pull off a 28L but 26 is pretty darn short.
back_swamp View Drop Down
raw
raw

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote back_swamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2021 at 8:46am
Here’s the fit. They’re pretty much perfect aside from the inseam. The camera is being more generous to the length than how they really look. These barely hit the ankle when worn as low on the hips as comfortable. I’m torn on whether I should commit to wearing them or keeping them as a collectible. Does anyone have any recommendations for where I can send these off for a proper chainstitch?

Maynard Fried-San View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maynard Fried-San Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2021 at 2:20pm
Very cool back-swamp. Re the chainstitch, where do you live? It would make recommendations easier.
Helixing my inner beanie
killer b View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote killer b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 7:44am
the kids all have their jeans at that length these days, wear them - you're all good. 

they look great. I had some more or less unworn 70s 501s for a while but moved them on 'cause I didn't love the fit at the time. Now, obviously, it's the exact fit I'd prefer. Ho hum. 
mstax View Drop Down
raw
raw

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 8:27am
A few months ago I posted a vintage find Levi's 501 from around 68-71. Today I was reading the first post on this thread trying to figure out some more info on these jeans as there seems to be something written just right above the numbers '501' on the patch. I couldn't figure it out. But, when I was going through the first post (thanx a looooot for all the info there!) it occurred to me that this perhaps is an 'F' grade 501. Below the picture of the post that I found (501-F) and below that the patch on my vintage pair.

Is there anybody that can tell me more about the 'F' grade and perhaps how common they are? 

Dr_Heech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dr_Heech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2023 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by Dr_Heech Dr_Heech wrote:

1978-1981
Now referred to by collectors/thrifters as the 'double-stitched' model 501 (see previous model discussion)

Here are some details of my pair -

The rivet on the blind side is different from the '73-78 model -

The bar-tacking on the belt-loops is shorter from 1978 onward (will update an example soon)

These ones @Sansome
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 25262728>
  Share Topic