denimbro Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Denimbro > Denimbro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Post something here, anything at all

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 277278279280281 282>
Author
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote CSL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 9:36pm
Bob, I think for people who primarily dress in casual clothes (I don't want to assume but perhaps you are in this category?) putting together a more formal look can be out of their comfort zone. 
In the old days people were expected to wear specific things for specific tasks or gatherings i.e. business suit, dinner jacket, etc. That took the guesswork out for folks who didn't want to be preoccupied thinking about dressing. Now those days are gone but nevertheless some basic things worth having are as follows. A plain suit that can be worn with a pressed shirt & tie, a non matching but harmonious sports coat & pants & a couple of decent looking shirts that go well with them. If a sense for good color combinations is not something that comes naturally one can refer to vintage movies, catalogues, etc for inspiration.

likeacannon View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote likeacannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 12:29pm
Bob I felt the same way about a year ago.

I had just turned the corner into my late thirties and realized I had still dressed mostly like I was still in my twenties and had the same thought as you every Sunday morning when I got ready for church (my church is very informal, as much could be said for Portland in general). Especially right now I take any chance I can get too make distinctions in my life so I don’t go mad with homogeneity, so my wife and I have taken to dressing up on Sundays. 
Derek Guy of Die, Workwear had been very helpful on trying to age gracefully style-wise, as there’s nothing more unseemingly than a guy in his fifties in cargo shorts at a formal event. Derek even helped me pick out my wedding outfit! I don’t imagine wearing a suit every day, or even a collared shirt, but I do want to have at least a modicum of respect wherever I am, and dressing for the occasion has been my sartorial goal this last year. 
killer b View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote killer b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 1:46pm
I think vintage-cut workwear often feels pretty timeless, whereas vintage cut formal wear is a lot more conspicuous - I tend to favour more modern cuts when I'm dressing formal, or I feel like I'm in fancy dress. Dunno if that's something to think about Bob.
CSL View Drop Down
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote CSL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by killer b killer b wrote:

I think vintage-cut workwear often feels pretty timeless, whereas vintage cut formal wear is a lot more conspicuous - I tend to favour more modern cuts when I'm dressing formal, or I feel like I'm in fancy dress. Dunno if that's something to think about Bob.

I agree vintage formalwear is not something to jump into if one is not totally comfortable wearing it. 
I do think the color palates of earlier eras are worth looking at for inspiration since so much of today's clothing seems to be limited to shades of black & gray. 
Bob Dale View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

GRAIL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Bob Dale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 8:28pm
I think you're right CSL, the best advice I've ever got about clothes is you're supposed to wear them as opposed to them wearing you.   Anyone I've ever interacted with in a suit was a salesman or an authority figure. I dont feel myself in a blazer or sports coat or suit.

Likeacannon -- I get that for sure.   I think I need to break my association that slim is dressy for whatever reason.

I used to try to thrift sort of prep/ivy looks but it becomes difficult because of the cut and the colors

killer b View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote killer b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 3:43am
Originally posted by CSL CSL wrote:

I agree vintage formalwear is not something to jump into if one is not totally comfortable wearing it. 
I do think the color palates of earlier eras are worth looking at for inspiration since so much of today's clothing seems to be limited to shades of black & gray. 
Totally - also ftr I always approve of other people styling vintage cut formalwear - it just makes me feel uncomfortable and self conscious to wear it, and I was wondering if that might be a factor in Bob's own discomfort.
Sansome View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sansome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2020 at 11:49pm
Does anyone remember the goofy internet scuffle we had, I think it was some peeps from style forum?
What I remember is a group of people started a thread of their own, they bagged on the pages being black...
They talked about pulling the trigger on some clothing ( I believe they were mocking a few members) Anyhoo
I just remembered.
CSL View Drop Down
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CSL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2020 at 11:55pm
Was that the Gustin crowd? "Let's blow this place up!" or something to that effect?
Sansome View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sansome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2020 at 12:02am
Originally posted by CSL CSL wrote:

Was that the Gustin crowd? "Let's blow this place up!" or something to that effect?

I think it was was, but I’ve always been partly out of the loop...But I do seem to remember that name.
Broark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Broark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2020 at 3:51am
I remember that, pretty funny in hindsight.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 277278279280281 282>
  Share Topic