Forum Home Forum Home > Denimbro > Denimbro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Post something here, anything at all

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 192193194195196 282>
Author
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maynard Fried-San Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 4:53am
I’m hunting down a new mini-disc player.
Helixing my inner beanie
oomslokop View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oomslokop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 4:55am
always the rearvisionary mayno! <3
rakuten is entertainment
CSL View Drop Down
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CSL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 10:59am
Originally posted by oomslokop oomslokop wrote:

all the kool kidz in jakartarse are listening to tapes on their refurbished sony sports walkmans now. local bands are releasing a lot of their new stuff on tapes just like killer b said, especially since they unearthed an old tape pressing plant n recording studio (huge!) still operating in central java.

Very cool!!^^
CSL View Drop Down
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote CSL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 11:06am
I have a lot of vinyl, shellac (78rpms), & cds. I have kept some cassettes but opted to give most to a friend in England since I didn't want to ship them back to the US. 

Even though I have purpose built shelves for all this it's still overflowing into boxes on the floor & random stacks. I'm starting to feel the need to downsize but don't know realistically when I might be motivated enough to doing something about it.

Some of my friends collect piano rolls. They really take up some space...
Double 0 Soul View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Double 0 Soul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 11:22am
Originally posted by killer b killer b wrote:

You buying new cassettes 00? I started a label releasing stuff on tape a couple of years ago, there's a surprisingly vibrant tape underground going on atm - I buy most of my new music on tape now. 

Yes, I remember you putting a box-set together, wasn't it some industrial/noise?

Just old ones, my car has a tendency to chew them up every so often.
I know there's been a bit of a revival, i went to a tape 'swap-meet' a few years ago organised through Sheffield forum's 'do you remember' thread.
It was a good group... mainly 40-somethings swapping/copying old DJ sets and pirate radio tapes, armed with cases of cassettes and Walkman's. After a 5min chat dude's would say "here put these earphones on can you pleeese ID this track? its been driving me crazy since......"
I suppose lyric finder is more successful when there are actual lyrics to find.
robroy View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote robroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 5:12pm
What’s a vinyl?
Iron Horse View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Iron Horse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 5:16pm
I get the fascination for, and own, vinyl, but cassette tapes? I can't say I was sad to see those go. Pencil and spooling, hissing, and not being able to easily skip songs, hmm...
Double 0 Soul View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Double 0 Soul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 1:54am
They were a pain at times but i look on them quite fondly and if they take us another step back/away from over-produced nonsense a bit of pencil spooling and yellowing sollotape is a small price to pay.
killer b View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote killer b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 3:25am
Well... There's a lot of reasons for the resurgence of tape, and none of them are to do with convenience of accessing particular tracks, or fidelity of the music.

I think the format does have an effect on how we listen to music. We live in a world of digital plenty - you can listen to any music you like, instantly, for free. That's great - it's really widened out the possibilities of what you can discover - but IME it results in a shallower relationship with the music. 

A financial commitment to actually buying an album makes you care more about the music, and makes you pay more attention to it. And it actually supports the artists, which streaming simply doesn't.

Tapes are cheap to produce, come in loads of interesting colours and effects, and are endlessly customisable. You can also produce them in small quantities, which any underground artist with 500 unsold copies of the vinyl LP they got pressed  stored under their bed can tell you is pretty desirable. They fit in your pocket when you buy them from the artist after a show, and in most cases nowadays they come with a download of the digital files so you can listen without the hiss (but who cares about hiss anyway? Life has surface noise, as John Peel said). 
Maynard Fried-San View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Maynard Fried-San Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 3:48am
True killer, but what, if any, advantages do they have over recordable CDs other than being slightly more portable?
Helixing my inner beanie
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 192193194195196 282>
  Share Topic