Forum Home Forum Home > Denimbro > Life aside from denim
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vintage Interior

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
whiskered
whiskered

anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mr Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 9:02am
That's lovely. You have a beautiful pair of legs there.
www.sidewinderapparel.co.uk
hollows View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote hollows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 10:14am
Very nice stuff Double0, I'm grateful that Danish/mid-century isn't my thing, cause holy cow does it ever get expensive. I like looking at it though!

When I was renting, I always felt a bit reserved about getting too comfortable in one place, but my interest in nesting has exploded since buying my first house about a year and a half ago, and while I know that it can be a pernicious black hole of consumption, I do find that having a comfortable and beautiful space improves the quality of both work and rest. 

Luckily I enjoy just about every aspect of the process, I get nice lessons in the history of industries and designers as I go about researching, I get the thrill of the hunt, and a good deal of philosophical reflection on the nature of beauty/aesthetics/mood/atsmosphere/personal taste, and for me at least it's less about coveting particular objects (though there is certainly some of that) and more about pursuing suitability. It's quite nice to enshrine the bits and pieces of daily life in specific, carefully selected ways throughout the built environment. It seems to encourage better habits and healthy routines, which can be a big struggle for the self-employed.

And if ya read all that babble, treat yourself to a look at another lovely early 1900s lamp (otherwise avert your eyes).

I make things out of leather.
hollows View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hollows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by EaseDownTheRoad EaseDownTheRoad wrote:

I'm a sucker for all things mid century  and i must agree with Duke, that sideboard looks like a humdinger.
What are the legs like 00?

Anyone on here seen the 'Infinite Space' doc about the architect John Lautner?

If not it is well worth a watch, a lot of his work will be recognisable to any avid movie fans as his houses have appeared in 'The Big Lebowski', 'A Single Man' and 'Diamonds Are Forever.

I thoroughly enjoyed this, but it's hard for me to think of his creations as living spaces. The amount of wealth needed to have a home like that is inconceivable to me. I really love a lot of his concepts and I'd love to see them adapted to a more moderate/practical scale. It's fun to imagine a world where (less extravagant but kindred) spaces like that are the norm, rather than being reserved for a wealthy few.
I make things out of leather.
EaseDownTheRoad View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote EaseDownTheRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 2:14am
Originally posted by Double 0 Soul Double 0 Soul wrote:

I'm a sucker for all things mid century  and i must agree with Duke, that sideboard looks like a humdinger.

chers 00, that's a nice set of pins.
Double 0 Soul View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Double 0 Soul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 4:06am
Originally posted by hollows hollows wrote:

Very nice stuff Double0, I'm grateful that Danish/mid-century isn't my thing, cause holy cow does it ever get expensive. I like looking at it though!

Re- mid-century furniture...up to and around 2000 you couldn't give it away!  even vintage/reclamation/salvage didn't stock it because the furniture could often be large and the profit could be so very small, even 'The British Heart Foundation' (other charity shops are available) would turn their noses up at it.

Its not just the relatively recent appreciation for mid-century which has bumped up the prices its also availability thanks to the Internet along with cheap shipping... its fucked with the pricing!
Sheffield was historically working class therefor the folks buying furniture would often buy no frills but solid, best quality they could afford and built to last, they would look after it and keep said furniture for their entire life, if it was broken they would mend it, they would never throw it away.

Up to 2000 the folks who bought mid-century to furnish their houses when they were in their 20's would now be approaching their 80's, kids left home, grand kids at university downsizing, no space ect, you could pick it up for next to nowt, plus the dealers selling it weren't exactly Internet savvy (not many of us were back then) so the prices were kept affordable, you wasn't in direct competition with a large often wealthier market place.
We have a large antiques quarter in Sheffield (its a grand day out) I used to enjoy vintage furniture shopping because you needed a keen eye for design and a bit of creative flair to make things work in the space you have, now internet sites like Vinteriors does all this for you, all you need is a fat wallet a tape measure and an i-pad.
denimsince65 View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote denimsince65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 6:47am
A very cool piece, OO.

Congrats on the buy.

Easiest way to search for similar pieces is to google Uniflex
www.wabashtees.com
Duke View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 7:03am

Anyone on here seen the 'Infinite Space' doc about the architect John Lautner?

If not it is well worth a watch, a lot of his work will be recognisable to any avid movie fans as his houses have appeared in 'The Big Lebowski', 'A Single Man' and 'Diamonds Are Forever.

I’m not a big fan of how architects are lauded
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Double 0 Soul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 9:57am
I have quite a few E.D.L engineers lamps at work, im not sure what EDL stands for but im certain its not the English Defence League.

This one is attatched to my Boxford lathe, i have numerous sizes and they date from the 1950's through to the 1970's.

Over the last few years with the fashion for 'Industrial interiors' they are being restored and often command more £££ than the machines which they are attached to.

They do look quite effective but the market for these is folks who don't have to get their hands dirty to make a living rather than folks like me who have a much less romantic notion of the Industrial look.

Duke View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 12:16pm
Electrodeless Discharge Lamps? I really don’t know but the EDL company has been on the go probably about 100 years or so (I know their modern products) and coincidentally that was about the period the electrodeless discharge lamp was becoming a modern idea - Nikola Tesla patented some associated work along those lines late in the 19th century - so perhaps they took their cue from that ... or more likely it’ll be the first initial of the 3 founding partners
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Double 0 Soul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 12:39pm
Thanks Duke, that's probably the best explanation i'll get today.. They can only take a rediculously low wattage bulb.

While i'm on a roll... i have an old (possible 60's era) oxblood lowback leather sofa and chair which used to be in the Managing Directors office of a company which i used to do some work for. This was back in the days when the MD would have a proper furnished office with deep pile carpets, humidor and drinks globe. When he retired 20yrs ago he asked if i would like it...well i never look a gift horse in the mouth.
Over the years the deep ox blood on the arms has worn away to a mid red where folks have been sat or my kid has been scrawming around. Ive been thinking about rubbing some black boot polish into the leather like folks did with cherry red DM's but i wouldn't want the boot polish to transfer onto peoples clothes, or worst still... my clothes

Any suggestions?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic