denimbro Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Denimbro > Brands
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LVC analysis

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 24>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dr_Heech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2012 at 12:13am
Originally posted by colgems1966 colgems1966 wrote:

the 33 doesn't get much love but i think it is one of their better releases and has THE best looking arcs of any model IMO.

Thanks Bob, We'll get to the '33 eventually, but for now any thoughts on the 1873?  What did you think when it was first released?
Maynard Fried-San View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Maynard Fried-San Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2012 at 12:34am
We need Pablo T's input. He's the only one here old enough to remember both the original Levi's model release and the 1873 LVC reissue!
colgems1966 View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote colgems1966 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2012 at 6:50am
well to be honest while i respect what they are, to be truthful i didn't pay much attention. it's just a personal thing but my interest doesn't come online until the 1901 models and after. it's simply a practical matter as i feel i need two back pockets and prefer belt loops. i couldn't add much to the discussion until the 20's models and after.
Sansome View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Sansome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2012 at 7:29am
When was the first model of the 1873 produced- 1999-2000? This looks like a interpretation of what Levi thought a 1873 pant would have looked like, it seem like they took their Calico pant that was found by the woman combing the Calico mines in 1948....They put patent rivets and the label off the kids duck pant in Pablo T's book and called it a day....The 1873 is really a 1893xx with patent rivets and a label off a pair of duck pants from 1891-92
mr randal View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN
MDLD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote mr randal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2012 at 9:09am
The LVC denim 1873 does look almost exactly like the LVC 1890- it doesn't have the really early details sansome & Nonriveted have found on most very early Levi's:

Selvedge line in waist band
Sew on suspender and fly buttons
Centered leather patch
Simplified stitching on cinch
Non riveted cinch
Hammered rivet heads
Denim pocket bags

Thanks Sansome, for breaking down the actual period details so clearly:
LVC denim 1873 = 1893 501 with some earlier details.

Edited by mr randal - 29 Oct 2012 at 10:50am
mr randal View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN
MDLD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mr randal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2012 at 9:16am
The 1873 does also have a rougher look to the construction than the 1890, which looks a lot neater and with nicely finished seams.
Aside from the structural details- what do you that have the natural indigo 1873 think of the denim? It is a bit on the light side, but I do like the faint green cast.

The cut of these early models is really compelling to me- I love the high waist, fuller seat, and trim legs. Probably my favorite jean cut (1873-1890).
illumin8em View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote illumin8em Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2012 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by mr randal mr randal wrote:

The cut of these early models is really compelling to me- I love the high waist, fuller seat, and trim legs. Probably my favorite jean cut (1873-1890).

I agree. I am hoping for the opportunity to try a pair out on my body type in the future.
mr randal View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN
MDLD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mr randal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2012 at 6:03pm
To illustrate Sansome's point about the design sources for the 1873:

This is the Calico jean, until the Nevada jean this was apparently the oldest denim pant Levi's had in their archive. The image is from pabloTs book. Levi's dated this at about 1890.

This is the boys duck pant that Levi's had in their archive at that time. (photo from BOON vintage) Levis dated this at around 1880.

LVC 1873 model is based on the Calico (the oldest levi pant the designers had seen in 1998, when this was created) with details walked backward in time based on other garments (like the tag from the boys duck pant) and documentation of other details.

Or so I understand it. Si or no, Sansome?

Edited by mr randal - 29 Oct 2012 at 6:16pm
Sansome View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sansome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2012 at 6:36pm
I had a chance to see a close up picture of the leather label that's on these duck pants, this is the same wording label that LVC puts on all their reproduction pants that date before the two horse brand....there is a problem with this label, it says every pair guaranteed. We know now that every pair or every garment guaranteed didn't come on labels until sometime after 1891. I've brought this issue up with the good folks over at LVC and there should be some changes in the future?
mr randal View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN
MDLD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote mr randal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2012 at 12:06am

The 2007 LVC 1873s. The fit seems exactly the same as the 1890- I have one of each in the same size, I'll measure them and compare tomorrow.

The point of this thread is to discuss how accurate the various models are, but for the 1873 that isn't really possible, as this isn't really a repro. It's more of an educated guess what a 1873 Levi's denim pant might have looked like based on later models.
 How close might it be? Until someone documents a 1873 Levi's jean and posts really good pictures of the details, impossible to say.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 24>
  Share Topic