Forum Home Forum Home > Denimbro > Brands
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LVC analysis

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 24>
Author
ADMIN
ADMIN
MDLD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr randal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2013 at 3:10pm
You could be out in the bush for some time stalking that perfect buck. May need backup smokes...
redchris View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redchris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2013 at 11:56pm
Originally posted by mr randal mr randal wrote:

Didn't you have the 1873 version, washed and with some alterations of your own?

You are right, it was the 1873, 555 made at Valencia. St,
though don't recall me putting it up here with any alterations etc.
colgems1966 View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colgems1966 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2013 at 2:12am
that canvas hunting jacket would have been used for bird or possibly small game hunting. it is not warm enough for deer hunting, and of much more importance canvas is not suitable for deer hunting it is too noisy a fabric. a deer hunter until the age of modern fabrics would traditionally wear wool. to this day i still wear a wool mackinaw when deer hunting.
mr randal View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN
MDLD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr randal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 3:50pm
LVC 1880 jean, confusingly, sometimes also called knappave, Nevada or Oldest Oldest:

Edited by mr randal - 27 Jan 2013 at 4:04pm
mr randal View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN
MDLD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mr randal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 3:54pm
Possibly the jean pictured above was a prototype- other 1880 models labeled as being from the same year of production as the above one (2008) have differing details, higher coin pocket, hammered rivets, denim rather than cotton twill pocket bags, and sew on buttons, like this one:

mr randal View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN
MDLD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mr randal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 4:09pm
Also, possibly, these are two different models, both labeled 1880. If so, the first one pictured above would be LVC's "Oldest Oldest", while the second one would be what they called "Knapave". Strangely, the details of the Knapave would place it as being an older model than the "Oldest Oldest", go figure.
 The Knapave has details that agree with the Harris's oldest Levi's, whereas the "Oldest Oldest" looks like it would fall somewhere later than the "Knapave" model but earlier than the LVC 1890.
 Or so I think.
 Nonriveted & Sansome- take it away!
Sansome View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sansome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 11:38pm
Both models are from the 1880's, the first one I think is modeled after the 1879xx...I'm almost certain that its from 1889. The question we should be asking is- who named the tool pocket pant Napave? What does that mean? The tool pocket pant might not be that much older that the other- defiantly sometime in the mid to late 1880's
setterman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote setterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 5:36am
Originally posted by colgems1966 colgems1966 wrote:

that canvas hunting jacket would have been used for bird or possibly small game hunting. it is not warm enough for deer hunting, and of much more importance canvas is not suitable for deer hunting it is too noisy a fabric. a deer hunter until the age of modern fabrics would traditionally wear wool. to this day i still wear a wool mackinaw when deer hunting.

Have to remember the time and place this garment would have been worn.  How, and what time of year we hunt today wouldn't apply, because hunting seasons are a 20th Century invention.  When this garment was worn, if game was needed, it was shot.  And I assume it primarily would have been worn in very western states like CA, NV, AZ, NM (warm more often than cold).  And the people buying it didn't have the money to afford multiple purpose built hunting garments like today.  When we look at it today, we see a garment best suited to hunting grouse, quail, rabbits, and ducks. But it's owner back then would have worn it for hunting anything.  Also remember, big game (deer, bear, moose, elk) were hunted differently back then.  The standing hunting we do now in the east has only come into vogue in the past 20 to 30 years.  Before that, you were on the ground, putting on drives with a group of guys, and in some places using dogs for certain game like bear.  I don't think they had the cover in the American west to hunt quite that way, but they would have gone out in groups (not the romanticized single or pair of hunters we see in old ammunition and firearms posters).  They would need to get close to their prey (less than 200 yards, preferably within 100), but being quiet clothing wouldn't have the emphasis put on it today (that's mostly for archery hunters anyways).  All that being said, those two little pockets wouldn't be used to carry anything precious or that your life depended on since they don't have a flap to secure them.  Best bet is they were used to carry a tobacco pouch (whether chewing or smoking).      
I got a rocket in my pocket and roll in my jeans
Dr_Heech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr_Heech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 9:08am
Originally posted by Sansome Sansome wrote:

Both models are from the 1880's, the first one I think is modeled after the 1879xx...I'm almost certain that its from 1889. The question we should be asking is- who named the tool pocket pant Napave? What does that mean? The tool pocket pant might not be that much older that the other- defiantly sometime in the mid to late 1880's

Cant really tell which Lvc model that is (mr. randals 1st pics) as there is no back shot of it. If it is the model labelled - 'oldest/oldest', then it is indeed not the oldest by any means. I don't know if you remember Mike, but I think there was a long Sufu conversation about it - entertainment! had a pair, and after a bit of banter, decided to move the patch to the right/back, as opposed to the centre/back. John, if your reading this - can you confirm?

I believe the tool pocket 1880's model was labelled the 'Knappave' after the (secret) location of it's discovery.
The original pair found were a little like the FW/2013 cut-offs. I remember Lvc offering them as pre-distressed cut-offs which included the separate leg portions as part of a 'limited' package.

The raw version (2nd lot of pics) are the best early Lvc offering to date IMHO, apart from the 1873 (2001) duck pants.
Lvc Japan did a duck version a year later.   
Dr_Heech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr_Heech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 9:42am
Mr. randal, not sure if you have any, but I also found some pics of the rare 1886 model (S/S 2005)- which has a centrally placed two horse patch and those little pleats under the riveted part of the cinch-strap.
Sorry about the picture quality (early sufu attempts)but at least it gives the general idea. Interestingly enough, these had pale yellow stitching, rather than white, and had blueline selvedge throughout -

Edited by Dr_Heech - 30 Jan 2013 at 1:37pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 24>
  Share Topic