denimbro Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Denimbro > Brands
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LVC analysis

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 24>
Author
ADMIN
ADMIN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sansome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2012 at 2:04am
Originally posted by mr randal mr randal wrote:

With all due respect, I am going to disagree with Sansome in believing that the 1874 duck hunting jacket does date from the 1870s- it does look very much like the illustration in the 1879 catalog, and the leather tag could be on the inner neck rather than the outer waist because of the longer cut of this jacket.

After talking with you today and looking at the jacket for a second time- I think your right about the hunting jacket.
mr randal View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN
MDLD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mr randal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2012 at 12:01pm
I wish we could have a look at the actual jacket, that would be helpful, huh? I really suspect it is in the Levis archive.

So as to how faithful of a repro LVC Japan made of the 1874 jacket- there are a few details that don't match the actual garment that sold on eBay, if that was indeed the actual model. The neck patch is placed lower on the repro and is not riveted. The repro doesn't have blank rivets as the original does, and I believe the original had some Interesting seams on the front that intersect the inner pockets.
The LVC 1874 that came out last year is different- it has the front seams, sew on buttons, and is made from the new Cone duck they had developed. It is also really oversized and the cut is different ftom the lvc japan repro- being wider in the torso and with very short sleeves. I don't have any good pictures of it at the moment.
Maynard Fried-San View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Maynard Fried-San Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2012 at 2:05pm
This article dates the Blue Eyes Mine picture as 1882. I'm not sure how valid it is:

Blue Eyes Mine

Edited by Maynard Friedman - 20 Dec 2012 at 2:10pm
mr randal View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN
MDLD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote mr randal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2012 at 4:43pm
I've been waiting on this in the post so I could document the more recent LVC prime take on the 1874 duck hunting jacket:

This was made in a small batch (I hear 110) last year from the special duck LVC had Cone make up to match the Hunting jacket they have in their archive. They also used this on the no-yoke 1873 duck pant batch and on the 1901 duck jumpers from three years ago.
 The sew on buttons are nice, and are actually sewn on securely for a change. Some distinct differences from the LVC Japan 1874 duck jacket pictured here earlier in pocket placement, collar shape, front seams, and overall cut. The cut of this one is more like the 1873 jacket- a wide torso with room to fill the interior game pouches, and very short sleeves (to keep your cuffs farther away from the blood?) as opposed to the trimmer, longer sleeved LVCJ variant.
 I suspect the LVC prime jacket is probably closer to what an original would look like, but the LVCJ version is a much better modern cut and very wearable.

redchris View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redchris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2013 at 12:57pm
I had this exact jacket on sale here a couple of months ago. Size 44. no takers, went on eBay for forty quid in the end.
mr randal View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN
MDLD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote mr randal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2013 at 1:50pm
Didn't you have the 1873 version, washed and with some alterations of your own?
Joseph Hill View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joseph Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2013 at 10:58am
Cinch buckle certainly doesn't look LVC.

What do you suppose the mini-pockets were intended for on the above jacket?  They seem rather specialized (and important enough to have two of them).
Shorty Long View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shorty Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2013 at 11:13am
cigs

Originally posted by Joseph Hill Joseph Hill wrote:

Cinch buckle certainly doesn't look LVC.

What do you suppose the mini-pockets were intended for on the above jacket?  They seem rather specialized (and important enough to have two of them).
mr randal View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN
MDLD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr randal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2013 at 12:27pm
^i think that's right- I've heard the smaller pocket on shirts & jackets from that era called "tobacco pockets". Their being placed high on the chest is maybe because that area is least likely to be torqued or crushed when doing something intensely physical like hunting?
Joseph Hill View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joseph Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2013 at 2:54pm
Tobacco/cigarette pockets on shirts seemed pretty common, but I've never seen one on a jacket, and odd that there's two.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 24>
  Share Topic