denimbro Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Denimbro > Denimbro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Let's talk t-shirts...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 35>
Author
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shorty Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Let's talk t-shirts...
    Posted: 12 Aug 2012 at 8:59am
nothing goes better with a pair of jeans (in my opinion) than a well-cut, well-constructed t-shirt

my preference...with money not being an object, were the LVC t's before they started "messing" with them

the cut and construction were my favorite, but I've noticed recently that they've gone to side seams (which blows my mind)...they've always been too expensive as well

Velva-Sheen was a good option, but availability is spotty and they're only a deal when on sale

I've tried goodwear, but the one issue I have is the neck...they don't tape the seam and the collar is too tight for my liking...it's almost like a mock turtleneck

what say you fellas?
rnrswitch View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rnrswitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2012 at 10:03am
I like the goodwear shirts. Neck is a bit tight. Hanes is easily my second choice. Never tried velvasheen cuz they were too expensive. I have one lvc but don't like it. The body is too long and sleeves are too short, plus the side seams suck. I don't like American apparel too much. For now it is just goodwear and Hanes, even though Hanes are made outside the states.
Too bad your momma's a bitch, cuz I totally coulda been your daddy.
P.J. View Drop Down
raw
raw

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P.J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2012 at 10:08am
Sizing for Velva Sheen is all over the place. 

An expensive but worth while option is Sunspel. Not necessarily a denimbro brand but exceptional summer basic. 
ranonranonarat View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranonranonarat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2012 at 10:20am
with regards to t shirts i think the consensus is pretty much everywhere. for me, the cut>fabric>price>construction. coming from a tropical country, t shirts are pretty much the staple for me. triple A does it for me since it cuts nicely on the asian frame, is thick enough to absorb sweat without it becoming translucent, and the pricepoint is great as well. probably around 12USD a piece. have tried a couple of other brands as well including hanes and american apparel but they just dont do it right for me. used to like the old gildan stuff but quality seems to have gone downhill over the years.

for striped tees im willing to pay a bit more. picked up a few pieces of the saint james stuff recently on sale for around 40USD a pop and they are pretty damn good. really great for all year round humid weather and comfy as hell.
faithless, the wonderboy
Bob Dale View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

GRAIL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Dale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2012 at 2:16pm
I love the handful of vintage champion blue-bar's I've found.  They're a lucky find at the thrifts, but I think Inventory has a repro either by Champion or possibly a Japanese repro brand.  If I had deep pockets I'd buy 6 in every available color twice a year.

P.J. View Drop Down
raw
raw

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P.J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2012 at 2:19pm
^The Real McCoy Champion shirts? How would you describe the fit? I remember looking into them around a year ago and being turned off by something...
Bob Dale View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

GRAIL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Dale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2012 at 2:27pm
I know nothing of the fit on the Mccoy's, but if they are based on actual Champion Blue-Bar tees from the 70's the fit is perfect. You size up about 1 and shrink them in the wash/dryer. Super soft, perfect fit.

You can't get modern tees to shrink the same way, don't know if vintage tees were unsanforized or  something but a vintage Large in champion, russell southern, ...  all fit me perfect with Medium and S being WAYYY too small.
colgems1966 View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote colgems1966 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2012 at 7:04pm
   i had a lvc levis sportswear label white tee once and resold it within days. mine was too short in the body the neck was way too wide for a crewneck and i didn't see the value. although i am cheap when it comes to tees. walmart had some life by jockey tees cheap and they seemed nicer made than hanes or fruit of the loom. 
 i wear plain white tees all the time as outerwear in the summer and under a shirt otherwise. i'm old enough to have experienced the decline of this industry first hand. they're all garbage or expensive as hell which i cannot justify. so i try to choose the least of evils with limited success. shrinkage is a problem because i never know whether to buy xl or xxl. some brands shrink more than others. i would weep for joy if someone would sell plain white crewnecks that fit well in 3-packs for a reasonable price. i'm willing to pay a premium but not velva sheen or lvc prices. i'm thinking $30 for a three pack of better quality would be right for me. 
mr randal View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN
MDLD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr randal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2012 at 9:23pm
For a T as an actual undergarment, i.e. worn under another shirt, I like the 100% cotton American Apparel Summer Shirt, sized down one. Fits snug, but not tight, and doesn't bunch up or stick out at the collar under a button up. Also cut long so they stay tucked in, especially if the fit is snug. Some batches seem to be tubular knit, but not all, and not the latest ones.
colgems1966 View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colgems1966 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2012 at 10:04pm
i'll have to look those up i've never bought anything from American Apparel. thanks for the tip. tees are a sore spot for me because i'm so picky about my whole wardrobe and then buy cheapo tees from wal-mart. thing is i wear them all the time too. seems to be little middle ground in the t-shirt game either real expensive which i can't see (especially how i go through them) or cheap junk.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 35>
  Share Topic