denimbro Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Denimbro > Denimbro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Let's talk t-shirts...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 35>
Author
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote the bandanna almanac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 9:53pm
My heavy rotation t-shirt. 3 weeks in direct sunlight, Kakishibu brown.

Edited by the bandanna almanac - 25 Mar 2013 at 10:00pm
Ishmael View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ishmael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 10:17pm
Looks great. Thanks for posting pics.
FormFollowsFunction View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FormFollowsFunction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2013 at 12:55pm
Afternoon guys heres a heads up theres 25% off over at www.homage.com if you use the coupon code RELENTLESS, pick up some nice tee's for the summer.  
Texas View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2013 at 12:10am
Opinions on the Levi's Bay Meadows 1930?
Shorty Long View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shorty Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2013 at 4:02pm
can someone please explain the proliferation of the side seam on t-shirts? is it really THAT much more inexpensive than going tubular? is cost the major factor? i'm assuming it is.

left field just released a whole bunch of t-shirts in amazing colors, heavyweight ring spun cotton, but damned if they don't have a side seam...that's just a detail i can't go for.

first, i think it looks cheap, and second, it seems that it seam always twists and ends up messing with the fit

i'm obviously in the minority, because it seems like more and more labels are using it (the aforementioned left field, LVC, AA, taylor stitch, farm tactics, etc).

OK...rant over
Mr Black View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2013 at 7:39am
Anyone know where I can get a plain version of something like this...

The net is awash with raglan sleeved or henly options but nothing with a set-in. Any of the old US sportswear companies still churning these out or will i need to head japan-ward?

www.sidewinderapparel.co.uk
Ishmael View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ishmael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2013 at 1:28am
I don't know how they've been in the past, but the Warehouse t-shirts (also henleys and polo shirts) are really nice this year. They've got a few different styles, but here is a link to the plainest version.

https://www.ware-house.co.jp/index.php?page=item&ic=49538&mode=newarrivals
the bandanna almanac View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote the bandanna almanac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2013 at 3:41am
Here is a sample I received at Tezomeya of the Kanekichi Loopwheel Falling Loom Knit. This is the ecru (kinari) undyed and unbleached loom state knit. 

Edited by the bandanna almanac - 26 May 2013 at 4:28am
the bandanna almanac View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote the bandanna almanac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2013 at 3:54am
Originally posted by Shorty Long Shorty Long wrote:

can someone please explain the proliferation of the side seam on t-shirts? is it really THAT much more inexpensive than going tubular? is cost the major factor? i'm assuming it is.

left field just released a whole bunch of t-shirts in amazing colors, heavyweight ring spun cotton, but damned if they don't have a side seam...that's just a detail i can't go for.

first, i think it looks cheap, and second, it seems that it seam always twists and ends up messing with the fit

i'm obviously in the minority, because it seems like more and more labels are using it (the aforementioned left field, LVC, AA, taylor stitch, farm tactics, etc).

OK...rant over

Generally speaking loop-wheel machines are a standard. The only difference is as you have mentioned the t-shirt twists. 

In the loop-wheel production, modern machines knit between 20-40 lines of thread. The knit fabric is then rolled onto a drum that rotates with the machine as the thread is knit. The fabric is stretched, and the threads are under considerable tension during this operation. 

This production method is the quickest but as a result you have to cut the fabric tube and re-sew the side seams so it won't twist. Unfortunately there is a trend for seamless knit t's. The less expensive seamless t's have the aforementioned twist. You will see some brands cut the fabric at an angle to avoid twisting, and it doesn't look as good as a straight cut t. 

High quality falling looms don't have this but they only knit one or two threads at a time. This means to make a run it takes a day and a half. 20 - 40 minutes on more modern machines. 

The big difference is because there is virtually no tension on the thread or the fabric the result is virtually no twisting. Traditionally all cotton knits were manufactured in this manner, so generally speaking the quality of good loop-wheel seamless t-shirts is far superior to seamed. But the trend to modernize equipment has resulted in mediocre t-shirts. There is less stitching and less waste, plus it requires far more skill to sew high quality knits. 

Edited by the bandanna almanac - 26 May 2013 at 4:00am
Ishmael View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ishmael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2013 at 4:15am
^^ BA, is this the one you posted above?

http://www.tezomeya.com/item/nocolor_t.html
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 35>
  Share Topic