denimbro Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Denimbro > Denim/workwear research
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Denim and Work Wear related Books, Mags, and Mooks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Denim and Work Wear related Books, Mags, and Mooks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 15>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Dr_Heech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2015 at 11:15am
Haven't stopped drooling all over my copy all week!  Many thanks to joona for the link, and also to Duke for generosity beyond compare Wink

Enjoy
Duke Mantee View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Duke Mantee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2015 at 11:51am
It is a very nice book Doc - I've enjoyed/am enjoying it immensely but like I said nothing is time limited . . .

Edited by Duke Mantee - 06 May 2015 at 1:43pm
HPA REP View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HPA REP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2015 at 11:36am
Originally posted by *lefty* *lefty* wrote:

The Army was a big part of the CCC, though the government did what it could to assure the public that it wasn't just recruiting kids for something like the many pre-Army youth groups around the world. The Brown Shirts in Germany and the Young Pioneers in the Soviet Union were images to avoid, so the New Dealers pushed this as an education/job/social/economic project that just needed a bit of the discipline and structure that the Army could provide. 

-in other words, I agree, probably an army shirt. 
Definitely a cut-down U. S. Army shirt, though it may or may not have been produced under a CCC contract.  All CCC contracts for clothing were contracted via the U. S. Army Quartermaster.  Some items were actually just purchased from the U. S. Army, but the majority were separately contracted, though the item itself may be identical to the U. S. Army version and even employ U. S. Army buttons, so only the contractor tag (if still present) will reveal the true nature of the item.  

The photos below are of a CCC Mackinaw that is identical in every way to the U. S. Army Short Overcoat and only the contractor tag reveals that this was intended for the CCC; remove the tag and it's a U. S. Army overcoat in every way.  The E. C. F. initials are one of the prefixes found on CCC contracts (Emergency Conservation Force), but please note that the contract was still made directly via the Phila. QM Depot (669 was the number for P. Q. D.).

The CCC ended up being a manpower source for the military once war was declared and the meat grinder of WWII needed bodies, thus ending the useful life of the CCC.  

Charles DiSipio
History Preservation Associates
Cherry Hill, NJ USA
Ph: 856-489-8103
Fx: 856-489-8104
E: fragen@historypreservation.com
www.historypreservation.com
HPA REP View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HPA REP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2015 at 11:44am
Originally posted by topgearskin topgearskin wrote:

Originally posted by *lefty* *lefty* wrote:

Someone with talent on this forum must be able to make this into a sweatshirt/ t shirt?

I could have this done.  I'll post in the shops section and see what response takes shape.  
Charles DiSipio
History Preservation Associates
Cherry Hill, NJ USA
Ph: 856-489-8103
Fx: 856-489-8104
E: fragen@historypreservation.com
www.historypreservation.com
Serge Denime View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Serge Denime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2015 at 2:11am
sounds like a Bro to me.
A page from the book
"Levi's the shrink to fit business that stretched to cover the world"

Sansome View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sansome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2015 at 11:05pm
Originally posted by Dr_Heech Dr_Heech wrote:

Haven't stopped drooling all over my copy all week!  Many thanks to joona for the link, and also to Duke for generosity beyond compare Wink

Enjoy

Hey Doc- I was wondering when you get a chance- could you post some pics of that 1880's price list that's in your new 501 book, I was thinking you could put it in the Levi thread- I can post the copy I have of the 1879 Levi price list, plus I have a price list from the late 1890's
Dr_Heech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr_Heech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2015 at 7:55am
Hi Mike, the photo of the price list in the 501XX book is tiny, so tiny I had to get a magnifying glass to read it! Doubt if my crap phone can do it any justice.
Duke has a copy, and I'm sure he has the camera to capture it - give him a nod Smile 
Maynard Fried-San View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Maynard Fried-San Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2015 at 8:06am
Just type it out directly in here then. Take a letter Mr Heech!
Duke Mantee View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Duke Mantee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2015 at 8:12am
I'll post it up tonight when I get home. I can't think of that price list specifically, with regard its physical size, but hopefully I can enlarge it a bit and still keep it sharp.
Dr_Heech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dr_Heech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2015 at 8:17am
Thankyou Duke, you are the man!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 15>
  Share Topic