denimbro Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Denimbro > Denim/workwear research
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Old Work Wear Photos

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7576777879 127>
Author
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CSL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2017 at 1:07pm
Good man, Buler!!
Iron Horse View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (7) Thanks(7)   Quote Iron Horse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2018 at 11:29pm
These mugshots from the 1900s-1910s give some nice little details on the people and clothing:

Iron Horse View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Iron Horse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2018 at 11:36pm
It's also a 25+ part video series on YouTube, starting with the 1870s:

WranglerMan View Drop Down
crocked
crocked

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (8) Thanks(8)   Quote WranglerMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2018 at 8:59am
Miners with Donkey jackets and flat caps 1965 yorkshire by John Bulmer

Double 0 Soul View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Double 0 Soul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2018 at 10:54am
Great photo!
I remember shuddering when Supreme repro'd those donkey jackets a few years back.
crocked
crocked

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WranglerMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 1:22am
You can still get the real deal ones from the 70s 80s for pretty cheap if you are lucky, i have an old one i wear with jeans and a flat cap as my basic outfit.
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Double 0 Soul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 6:44am
Thanks WranglerMan but I don't think i could bring myself to wear one, too many memories for me, some good, mostly bad. I grew up in a village on the outskirts of Sheffield and remember in the late 70's when i was a toddler my mom taking me into town for some reason (most of our shopping was done at local shops so going into the city would have been a big deal for me back then) and seeing 1000's and 1000's of men in donkey jackets (They were free standard issue at the many steel works as well as the National Coal Board) The interchange was in the city-center so the workers would all head there after clocking off to catch a bus home, after a few pints of Wards Best Bitter obviously.

Alas while London boomed in the 80,s union and government policy saw striking families around my neck of the woods forced to live on £11.75 a week accompanied by food hand outs (thankfully i wasn't one of them) communities were broken the tens of 1000,s of donkey jackets became 100,s then disappeared altogether becoming a symbol for me of the losing struggle against declining industry. The city still hasn't recovered to this day.
I like the donkey jacket flat cap look, you don't see it often enough, rock it with pride! its just too depressing for me.
crocked
crocked

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WranglerMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 8:55am
Yeah i understand what you mean, i live in South Yorkshire myself and we are still feeling the effects of that time, even for my generation who is younger. I do wear it in defiance and with pride but i have always liked how they looked too, think the younger generation of working class people wearing them can only be a good thing.
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Double 0 Soul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 12:22pm
I agree, much like the M-65 it often takes a generation or two to forget the negative shit and appreciate just how cool they look.
bartlebyyphonics View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote bartlebyyphonics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 9:50am
to add to the question of negative histories and work wear
after the recent-isn warehouse repro of prison wear, here is some shots by walker evans (c.1935) of those getting to wear it in a chain gang... (possibly in louisiana says the image credit)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7576777879 127>
  Share Topic