denimbro Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Denimbro > Brands
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Freewheelers/Bootleggers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 521522523524525 543>
Author
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 10:39am
It’s not really about comparing DS - which invariably will break down once personal opinion kicks in.

However I will say this (and I’ve mentioned similar in other threads and previously here) - FW did go for accuracy in their original Lot601XX, and they’re pretty convinced they succeeded.

The big difference is that brands like CSF (who seem to make fantastic stuff in my limited knowledge) have a selling point focused around ‘historical accuracy’ whereas FW generally sell around plausible historic items. Often that means an interpretation of an actual garment, but it also means they also produce reproductions when they feel it is worthwhile.

Also, I’m long past being convinced that one major brand is much better than another. There are differences but I don’t believe them to be all that clear cut - usually you need to dig very deep to find them.
dudewuttheheck View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dudewuttheheck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 11:29am
Originally posted by Duke Duke wrote:

S&L, what’s your own view? Why are you looking at the items you’ve posted pics of?

The reason I ask is:

1. You must be impressed enough to consider them
2. An opinion on denim is a very wide playing field (unless you want tech specs)

As you can see DudeWtH says nice but second to CSF ... I could explain why he’s wrong but what would it achieve?

Tell us you own thoughts and I bet you’ll gain a good bit more insight

Well I would like to point out that I PREFER CSF. I did not say that CSF is the factually better choice.
Duke View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 11:38am
Originally posted by dudewuttheheck dudewuttheheck wrote:

S&L, what’s your own view? Why are you looking at the items you’ve posted pics of?

The reason I ask is:

2. An opinion on denim is a very wide playing field (unless you want tech specs)

As you can see DudeWtH says nice but second to CSF ... I could explain why he’s wrong but what would it achieve?

Well I would like to point out that I PREFER CSF. I did not say that CSF is the factually better choice.

Jake - I WAS BEING HUMOUROUS … - I even used an emoticon

Waaaay too serious
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dudewuttheheck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 11:44am

Originally posted by dudewuttheheck dudewuttheheck wrote:

The reason I ask is:

Jake - I WAS BEING HUMOUROUS … - I even used an emoticon

Waaaay too serious

My apologies. I guess I need a class in emoticons as well as Scottish

Either way I very much liked my Freewheelers denim jacket. I only sold it due to sizing issues. I think FW denim is underrated in general
Duke View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 11:56am
Dude - we're cool, don't apologise it doesn't matter, just lighten up, they're only clothes.

Also I'm writing in plain English and it's not that hard to understand … because if I can manage then I think anyone can.

But that aside, read my other posts. You'll see plenty of evidence of a Freewheelers fanboy (that's me in case my accent has thrown you) arguing down FW, arguing for other brands and generally trying to explain why one isn't much better than the other.

We all have our likes and dislikes but it takes a special kind of narrowness not to see the bigger picture.

Edited by Duke - 18 Mar 2019 at 12:11pm
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dudewuttheheck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 1:02pm

Dude - don't apologise it doesn't matter, just lighten up, they're only clothes.

Also I'm writing in plain English and it's not that hard to understand … because if I can manage then I think anyone can.

But that aside, read my other posts. You'll see plenty of evidence of a Freewheelers fanboy (that's me in case my accent has thrown you) arguing down FW, arguing for other brands and generally trying to explain why one isn't much better than the other.

We all have our likes and dislikes but it takes a special kind of narrowness not to see the bigger picture.

Thanks for clarifying! I could hardly follow you dude to all the Scottish slang

As much as I am a CSF fanboy, I am well aware that tlit is a niche even by db standards and that's really saying something!

Also, in some ways I can be a bit of a fw fan boy, especially with their leather jackets.

My original post meant to imply that even though I prefer CSF personally, I think Freewheelers denim is a great choice.
shredwin_206 View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote shredwin_206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 1:31pm
Never got the hype around CSF it does nothing for me and seems overpriced.
I find Freewheelers much more interesting. They tend to take inspiration from vintage but add their own twists. FW denim is definitely on my purchase list.
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dudewuttheheck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by shredwin_206 shredwin_206 wrote:

I find Freewheelers much more interesting. They tend to take inspiration from vintage but add their own twists. FW denim is definitely on my purchase list.

The denim Freewheelers uses is awesome. It's a little lighter than other fabrics I have and also rather soft. The texture is interesting and hairy without being an over-exaggerated slub-fest. I also really love the white painted fly buttons on mine and how the hardware ages. I also always forget how affordable it is, especially compared to CSF.
Dr_Heech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Dr_Heech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by shredwin_206 shredwin_206 wrote:

Unless you're a vintage Levis fanboy, then you won't understand the fuss about CSF.

I didn't 'get it' with Freewheelers until l owned a pair, but now l do.

As has already been said, both are coming from different angles - CSF try to copy an exact pair of old Levis whereas FW try to replicate an era in theirs (1947 model notwithstanding). Both succeed but also both fall a little short too, luckily it's neither's 'fault' per se it just boils down to opinion and personal preference.
My only issue is with sizing: FW come up a little big wheras with CSF you need to size up a fair bit.

Fwiw, l own two pairs of each and it's always a head scratcher which brand takes my fancy on any given day.

And Dude, the buttons with the pale yellow wash; l think this a nod to the oxidation process of metal found on original pairs of Levi's.

Edited by Dr_Heech - 18 Mar 2019 at 10:43pm
Duke View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 11:00pm
As I said before, I didn’t want this to get into a CSF/FW comparison BUT if there has to be one then I hope everyone reads Doc’s words.

Perfectly put
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 521522523524525 543>
  Share Topic