denimbro Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Denimbro > Brands
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Freewheelers/Bootleggers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 405406407408409 543>
Author
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ishmael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2016 at 7:07am
Are your 51s the new or the old denim Flash? If you've got the new denim, you might be able to find a pair of the 47s in the older denim.....
Flash View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Flash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2016 at 7:11am
the new denim i think , bought them July last year 

best denim pic i could find in my photobucket 

Ishmael View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ishmael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2016 at 7:34am
Yes. Pretty sure that's the new model (easier to tell from the tag material than the denim, I think).

These are non-wash in the older denim. Looks like they've got a 29.

http://www.genco-clothing.com/item/1012001-NW/
Flash View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2016 at 7:46am
i ordered these from mirrorball 
http://the-rising.co.jp/?action=item_detail&id=1065
so am i correct in thinking the new (1947) denim is closer to the 1951 denim ? from what i remember from desolation row there was a fair amount of difference between the 2 denims 
Ishmael View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ishmael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2016 at 8:01am
^^ That's the new model, I think. As Duke noted above, same (or very similar) denim as new 51 model but different shade.
Flash View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2016 at 8:04am
thanks for the help guys 
Duke Mantee View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Duke Mantee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 12:24pm
There isn't a huge difference between denim used in the 2012 and 2014 47s.

FW really just tinkered with the weft (blending 5 types of cotton instead of the four in the very first version), and the loom tension and some factors associated with that - they claim it's even closer to the original 1946 denim they examined and copied.

So the newer version is a little bit coarser feeling (more neppy?) but both will fade in a similar manner - something that's fairly subtle, and to my eye at least, quite natural.

Edited by Duke Mantee - 28 Mar 2016 at 12:52pm
Flash View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Flash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 12:29pm
ended up canceling my original order ( new 47 denim ) and ordered the pair ishmael linked , always liked OO's pair and since i already have the 51's i thought it made sense to get the old denim 
Duke Mantee View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Duke Mantee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 12:51pm
I can understand your rationale Flash and I'm looking forward to seeing you sport these.

I look at the Lot 601XX a little bit differently. The denim started out with the Bootleggers issue (the version that's on tour at the moment is that very one), then it got realeased in a Lot 1 version '47 cut, pretty much followed immediately by the Lot 2 (and to this day I'm not sure what the difference is other than the dying), and then a few years later in the current guise.

What I'm saying is that FW weren't trying to create new and different denim in the way many jeans manufacturers do for each model they produce, but instead they have only improved upon (in their own eyes) their original denim to be as accurate and authentic as possible to the vintage pieces they own.

What they then do is create different cuts - the '39' '47 and '51 (and a 1972 version which is a different animal entirely) - to demonstrate variations in the 501 and to give a different look for the wearer.

They make plenty of other denim that is very different from the Lot 601XX, some which will fade quickly, some with strong vertical fall and so on ... but they are generally not 5P jeans in the traditional sense, because FW aren't a jeans company.
Ishmael View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ishmael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 10:07pm
Wearing my 51s today for the first time in a while. Forget how good the fit is on these. Pretty much perfect for a with shoes (rather than boots) jean.

In other news, I saw Pronto Denim in Thailand is now an FW stockist. Cool. But what's up with them carrying deck jackets. Um....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 405406407408409 543>
  Share Topic