denimbro Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Denimbro > Life aside from denim
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grooming

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 17>
Author
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ishmael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2014 at 6:47pm
Interesting. So you're giving a $7 tip?

Up until now I've paid 20 dollars for a haircut that includes shave, shampoo, styling and a massage with both hands (fists!) and electric massager. (no tips in Japan). Took about 45 minutes, and everything was very meticulously done. This was a very regular barbershop in the suburbs outside Tokyo.

Only problem was that they seemed unable to cut hair without going to town with the thinning shears. Oh and I've moved. Now living in central Tokyo and I'm finding some steep price differences. Nothing under 30 bucks. And I'm also looking at barbers/salons with some experience cutting foreign hair and there everything starts at 60 bucks.
Shorty Long View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Shorty Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2014 at 6:49pm
$10
Standard cut from my barber Doc. He's been doing it for nearly 50 yrs
mr randal View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN
MDLD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote mr randal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2014 at 8:35pm
Ishmael has foreign hair.
mr randal View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN
MDLD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote mr randal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2014 at 8:42pm
$25 + $5, my barber can do anything. I don't know how many times I've gone in with some blurry pics on my phone and said "can you do this?" And he always does, perfectly, and makes no comment on the extensive collection of hipstery vintage mug shots on my phone.
Ishmael View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Ishmael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2014 at 8:59pm
Yes, and it's all over my face too. And I also have a huge nose.

The lack of comment on the hipster phone gallery alone is enough for the price of admission, Mr. Randal. I'm jealous. I gotta find somebody like that.
mr randal View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN
MDLD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr randal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2014 at 9:06pm
The eyebrows could maybe stand some work, but I quite like the beard.
Ishmael View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ishmael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2014 at 9:17pm
The eyebrows only stand up like that when someone makes fun of my nose.
xallanx View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote xallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2014 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by Ishmael Ishmael wrote:

Interesting. So you're giving a $7 tip?

Yup, $7 tip, every time.  I pay what I think it's worth.
Dr_Heech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dr_Heech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2014 at 11:57pm
Originally posted by Ishmael Ishmael wrote:

Survey: how much do you pay for a haircut (and what does that include) ?

Up until December last year, I paid £10, and that was for both me and my 6 year old boy!   It included hairwashing, a coffee and plenty of eye candy. Oh and 'products', whatever they are(?) but I never used them so cant comment on what they were.
Since Chrimbo, I have gone back to using my old clippers at a #4 :)

[edit] Shorty, I don't remember cutting your hair? Must've been a different Doc?

Edited by Dr_Heech - 18 Feb 2014 at 6:53am
Sardine View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sardine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2014 at 4:38am
I've been using my barber for about 10 years. He's a nice Czech immigrant who sometimes practices english on me, or asks me what some words mean. He charges $15 and I pay $20. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 17>
  Share Topic