Forum Home Forum Home > Denimbro > Denim/workwear research
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Levi Strauss 1873-1973

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 131>
Author
ADMIN
ADMIN
MDLD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mr randal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by drew drew wrote:

Sansome,
Do you know if there was a model 501 that appeared after the 1933 model, but before the 1944 model? I'm trying to identify the model that my grandpa was wearing in pictures of him from 1939-1941.

Around 1937 the 501 got its hidden rivets and lost the suspender buttons.
drew View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2012 at 1:00am
Thanks fellas!
WTB MF XL XXL 36 38 ripped torn worn stained altered or otherwise
Dr_Heech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr_Heech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2012 at 7:49am
Originally posted by mr randal mr randal wrote:

Sansome,
Do you know if there was a model 501 that appeared after the 1933 model, but before the 1944 model? I'm trying to identify the model that my grandpa was wearing in pictures of him from 1939-1941.

And got a red tab to boot!
Maynard Fried-San View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maynard Fried-San Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2012 at 8:09am
Originally posted by Dr_Heech Dr_Heech wrote:

Sansome,

I thought it got the tab in 1936?
Dr_Heech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dr_Heech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2012 at 8:44am

Originally posted by Maynard Friedman Maynard Friedman wrote:

Originally posted by Dr_Heech Dr_Heech wrote:

Sansome,

I thought it got the tab in 1936?

OOh you've stepped on a landmine there Martin!

Personally I have never seen a pair of 1936-37 Levis 501xx.  Never.
Obviously that doesn't mean to say that they dont (or haven't) existed??
But after a conversation with a well-known member here who is a bit of a Levis fan on another less dynamic denim-forum, it seems that the likelyhood of the two different models, i.e: a '36 and a '37, is slim to none.
I think it has to do with two things:

Firstly L.S. & co's dating system which is vague at best.
It may have been invented by sales manager Chris Lucier in 1936 but I doubt it came out until the hidden rivet model as there would have been more evidence in advertising for us to see.
Remember the pocket-flasher came out to coincide with the hidden-rivet model (also advertising the red tab device)? The only advertising I've seen for the red tab only before then is those wooden cowboy torso's with a pair of 501xx's nailed to the bottom (on the back is a large arrow pointing to the red tab).

Secondly I think that the time when the idea of the red tab came about, and the time when the hidden rivet came about, is less than a year, so a matter of months really.  The set-up for machines to include the tab seems relatively easy compared to the set-up for the hidden rivet which is more complex, so it's possible some jeans had the tab before the 'hidden rivets', but it would make sense that the two ideas, although months apart should be incorpoated at the same time.
I emailed Lynn Downey years ago asking her about this, and she just spielled-off a load of Levis gumph which really did not answer the question, instead only cemented the fact that Levi's history is vague at best.  She also said she'd never seen a '36-37 model either. 

I would love to be proved wrong.

So any takers?? Wink

Edited by Dr_Heech - 12 Feb 2013 at 12:59pm
Dr_Heech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr_Heech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2012 at 9:10am
Originally posted by Sansome Sansome wrote:

The piece you posted from the museum would be about $8,000. This piece is the same time period as the 1879 xx archive piece, but the real date IMO is 1888-89 for both pieces. Let's try and find you a much cheaper piece

Wow, $8K ... really?  It's not as though you can wear 'em LOL.

But yes Mike, I wholeheartily agree with you on that one.  A  much cheaper piece (but Levis of course).

If I ever get out your way, I'm gonna go hunting with you for sure!
setterman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote setterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2012 at 9:51am
I simplify things by calling my "1936" 506XX and "1937" 501XX "late 30s Levis".  Wink

Will throw out a thought... if 1936 is the year for the red tab, is it possible it was applied to the jackets first (which really didn't carry anything outwardly to identify them as Levis) and the following year was applied to the jeans?  Who knows.... I'm not overly concerned about it either way!
I got a rocket in my pocket and roll in my jeans
denimdart View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote denimdart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2012 at 10:36am
1889 Advertisement

denimdart View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote denimdart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2012 at 10:37am
1894 Advertisement?

Edited by denimdart - 08 Mar 2012 at 11:30am
Cinch View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Cinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2012 at 10:41am
Thanks for posting the Levis ephemera denimdart. Very cool.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 131>
  Share Topic