Forum Home Forum Home > Denimbro > Denim/workwear research
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Levi Strauss 1873-1973

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 123124125126127 131>
Author
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Denimetc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 11:03am
That's great work - thank you for sharing!
Too much Denim - too little time...
mr randal View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN
MDLD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote mr randal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 11:22am
Thank you denimseeker- that really is very nicely done!
Sansome View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sansome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 2:38pm
Nice job denimseeker- somewhere buried in these pages, is a double pleat- one pocket blouse/jacket from 1887,
So we at least know that Levi was making a one pocket jacket by that time. Again, buried in these pages should be
A copy of a 1890’s price list I used to own, I was looking at my copy of the price list a few weeks ago, unfortunately
I seem to have misplaced it...anyways, the price list is on one of these pages.
Denimseeker View Drop Down
crocked
crocked

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Denimseeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by Sansome Sansome wrote:

Well if this price list is dated 1879.......That pretty much rules out the price list in the new 501 book to be from the 1870's   Notice the three colors of duck in the 79 price list V.S the 501 price list that only lists Mode duck......I have yet to see any evidence that linen thread was used before the late 1880's.....the white labor thing started being touted in the late 1880's also.

Sansome. Thanks a lot! I definitely need an expert like you to complete the book.
I have seen the jacket you mentioned (yeah its in the thread), yeah I should have my book updated soon. Would be even more grateful if you can have more pics of this beautiful piece to share.
As for the price list, is that the one you are talking about? 
Thanks!

crocked
crocked

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Denimseeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by Dr_Heech Dr_Heech wrote:

I was waiting for non riveted's book to be published before i put this Jacket/blouse up......but fuck it-she finished the book over two years ago and its still not published- This is the great grandfather of the type 1 Levi jacket, we found this spot 10 years ago where this jacket was found- we did some test digging and didn't find much, so we put this spot on the back burner until two years ago- we gave this spot another go- when Bandit dug right to the only thing in the entire 30 ton pile of rock and debris. (photo by Bandit)

This at least 10 years younger than the triple pleat- you can clearly see that the label is dead center.....This is how the triple pleat should be

Some folks don't believe that this label says white labor- but whatever......it's in the ads and its stamped on early 1890's pocket bags.
(all photos by Bandit)

So Mike do you have the pair of XX's which used the same branded fly-buttons as this 'type 1' to hand?

Maybe you could date this blouse specifically using your early buttons and dates?

Have to say this is really really beautiful. But it has selvedge under the collar which reminds me of 213, the No.2 denim blouse.
Sansome View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sansome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 8:11pm
I believe that’s the price list from the late 1880’s above^^^^ That I believe was in the 501XX book.
I’m pretty darn sure I posted the 1890’s price list, I’ll track it down and post it again if it isn’t there, should give lot #
In the price list I had- should have the XX and the #2 series in the price list?
crocked
crocked

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denimseeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 7:57am

So close in price......Only a 50 cent difference in price.....my list is 50 cents lower.

Sansome (or Mike?)
This one?
Sansome View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sansome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 8:05am
Yea, those stinking price lists with no lot numbers listed!
That’s the one, a catalog from that time period would have listed
The lot numbers, but I guess the price lists don’t.
crocked
crocked

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Denimseeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 8:27am

Thanks so much!
One of the things to be added to the 2nd edition will probably be related to the birth of type 1 jackets.
Would love to include that 1887 blouse in my book too, can I? (Of course I'd love to have more pics, esp the buttons and the selvedge line inside the jacket, haha)
Sansome View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sansome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 10:47am
Originally posted by Denimseeker Denimseeker wrote:

Thanks so much!
One of the things to be added to the 2nd edition will probably be related to the birth of type 1 jackets.
Would love to include that 1887 blouse in my book too, can I? (Of course I'd love to have more pics, esp the buttons and the selvedge line inside the jacket, haha)

Your more than welcome to use the photos that are already released, we have been working on/off on a Levi book for 10
Years, I would like to save what detailed photos I have for our book- but for sure it should be represented in yours- cuz I think it’s as close as we’re going to get, to the birth of that style of jacket....Birth meaning Levi making that style of jacket- most of its competitors were making a double pleated 1 pocket blouse way before Levi.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 123124125126127 131>
  Share Topic