denimbro Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Denimbro > Brands
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BRASS Tokyo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 33>
Author
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShootThePier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 8:06pm
Apap in your first picture, on the right boot, it looks like the hide has a 1/2 inch scar.. Otherwise your pair looks like what I would expect at the asking price.
massivebonanza View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote massivebonanza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 12:27am
/\ Are you responding to the right member? Apap's pair looks superb; I thought it was Americana Mark who was stating the issues with his? Perhaps because the former is new but the difference between the two pairs is night and day, the second pair in my eyes appearing a less impressive example.

Edit - I see the mark you're referring to, missed it first time round looking at them on my phone.
dudewuttheheck View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dudewuttheheck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 12:40am
Mark's pair is certainly not up to the standards of any other pair of Clinch boots I have seen. I would suggest contacting brass through email and Instagram. If either of my custom pairs looked like that I would not accept them. I will definitely make sure to ask for pictures when I get them.

I maintain that my pair and most pairs I have seen are the best boots around. This is the first bad pair I have seen, but there is no denying the issues.
Double 0 Soul View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double 0 Soul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 12:48am
Originally posted by apap apap wrote:

Received these a couple days ago from Pancho and Lefty.  Clinch hand-dyed black horse butt engineer boots on the CN last.

IMG_8956 by ap ap, on Flickr

^These are beauties! i bet your over the moon. Ive got tiny scars in all of my HH from FW,s to Buco or of course it could just be a tooling mark that will rub out.
Im glad the sizing worked out, would you go with a 10 in the CN again?

Edited by Double 0 Soul - 20 Mar 2017 at 1:05am
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double 0 Soul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 1:02am
This is really rough workmanship!
You say you paid $1000 bucks? did you buy them direct from Brass? because if you see my pair of overdyed Clinch in the op there is no sign whatsoever of overspill onto the edges of the leather. In my case the dye must have been applied prior to construction (before the pattern was cut) because if the dye would have been applied after it would have also dyed the stitching.
Originally posted by Americana Mark Americana Mark wrote:

just to show what I am talking about from my earlier post. 

Is this supposed to be intentional?

Whereas this pair^ somebody has clearly applied the dye after construction and not particularly well.

Edited by Double 0 Soul - 20 Mar 2017 at 1:17am
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote massivebonanza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 1:15am
Well they certainly aren't a new pair of boots so the provenance behind them unknown - perhaps they were bought second hand?

There is something a bit sloppy about the external heel counter as well to my eye - presumably Brass don't outsource builds? - but either way it looks like either an issue in the build or their inspection.

- or an aftermarket dye (diy?!) job, as 00 notes.
dudewuttheheck View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dudewuttheheck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 1:28am
Soul is likely on to something. I noticed that the stitching looked dyed as well which hints at an aftermarket job. This is why I suggest Mark contact brass directly and show the pictures. In most cases of defects, there is poor workmanship, but here, the difficult things such as stitching look fine, but the dye job looks to be done after the boots were already constructed which is quite weird and not what brass usually does.

Also, notice how dark the black overdue looks. Soul's and the other black overdye clinch boots I have seen are relatively lightly dyed with brown leaking through already on brand new pairs. This looks nothing like that.

Another strange thing is that Mark noted that the boots seemed light. While they could be lighter than Wescos, the latigo leather has been proven to be quite thick which is not what Mark describes. Of course, without actual weights in grams or ounces/pounds, the term 'weight' is relative, but at the very least, there are some things that look fishy rather than brass simply missing the mark. This is just too weird to chalk up to them simply missing some quality control. I imagine they would actually want to see this.
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double 0 Soul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 1:29am
Your right hoggy and from what i can tell the heel looks sharp and there doesn't look to be any wear on the sole whereas the shaft is collapsing which can take quite a while with HH, maybe sombody had a cheap re-sole/rebuild/overdye wasn't happy with the results and sold them on.
Where did you get them Mark?

edit- sorry im assuming these are horse hide?

Edited by Double 0 Soul - 20 Mar 2017 at 2:09am
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote massivebonanza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 2:02am
Yee gads could we be seeing counterfeit?!
This audience needs to know more!
Aries View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 2:28am
Agree with all of the above; I've owned multiple engineer boots now after a 12 month headfirst dive into them, and Brass are the only brand I own multiple of due to sheer craftsmanship.

Perhaps, as the lads above note, an after market job, or seconds/experimental not meant for retail? Stitching and leather quality look good but the other details seem to lean towards that.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 33>
  Share Topic