denimbro Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Denimbro > Denim/workwear research
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Corduroy, the fabric of kings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Corduroy, the fabric of kings

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message
rootytoottoot View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
Avatar

Joined: 02 Oct 2012
Location: Franklin, TN
Status: Offline
Points: 679
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote rootytoottoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Corduroy, the fabric of kings
    Posted: 21 Mar 2013 at 11:43am
I haven't seen a thread about this yet, but.. anyone else into vintage corduroy?  It certainly has a long, tumultuous (i.e., the 1970s)  history, but it definitely has a place of honor in 19th century workwear/hunting gear, a subject dear to many of our hearts.

I notice that it is much harder to find a cool pair of repro workwear cords than say, a pair of ducks.  I recently saw corduroy pop up in Christophe's Men of the Frontier line.

Does anyone here know of any companies producing quality corduroy items?  Any favorite pieces from the near past?  I dig corduroy 100%




Back to Top
Sardine View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered


Joined: 19 Apr 2012
Location: Aridzona
Status: Offline
Points: 3451
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sardine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2013 at 11:50am
rtt-did you see the jacket that matches those pants..badass. I have always liked corduroy, but don't know much of it's history, although I like many of the repro pieces I've seen.
The jacket: http://freewheelers.co.jp/blog/archives/3930
Back to Top
rootytoottoot View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
Avatar

Joined: 02 Oct 2012
Location: Franklin, TN
Status: Offline
Points: 679
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rootytoottoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2013 at 12:12pm
Yes, that jacket is KILLLERRRR
Back to Top
rootytoottoot View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
Avatar

Joined: 02 Oct 2012
Location: Franklin, TN
Status: Offline
Points: 679
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rootytoottoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2013 at 12:13pm
I remember seeing a guy once who had a tan, corduroy version of the Levis Type I jacket (or at least thats what I THOUGHT I saw..)  Never seen it since.  Am I imagining things?  I would love to have one
Back to Top
Bob Dale View Drop Down
grail
grail


Joined: 16 Jan 2012
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 222
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Dale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2013 at 1:05pm
that jacket is killer!

  I am unfamiliar with whether a true vintage version exists , I wonder if Levis Red or Made and Crafted made what you saw?  I know in years past M&C has done several takes on the type 1 in non-traditional materials.

 

This is a bit of a mash-up, can't tell if its 'no wale' cord.  Obviously the zipper is not historically accurate but maybe this was something kind of like what you saw?

There was a sack coat too -- can't remember if it was cord or just a sort of cotton drill.





Edited by Bob Dale - 21 Mar 2013 at 1:26pm
Back to Top
maxamillionmose View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
Avatar

Joined: 03 Jan 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Status: Offline
Points: 1417
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxamillionmose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2013 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by rootytoottoot rootytoottoot wrote:

I remember seeing a guy once who had a tan, corduroy version of the Levis Type I jacket (or at least thats what I THOUGHT I saw..)  Never seen it since.  Am I imagining things?  I would love to have one


I saw one of those on ebay about 6 months ago. I remember it appearing just as you described but also had some subtlle bomber stylings to it... if i remember correctly anyway. I remember it being slightly darker than what I would call tan.  Anyhow, it was listed as a 1930s levis corduroy jacket.  I would have bid on it but it was a size too small for me. I think the auction ended without bids. It was hard to tell if it was authentic or not, i assume a lot of people passed on it solely based on skepticism.
Back to Top
maxamillionmose View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
Avatar

Joined: 03 Jan 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Status: Offline
Points: 1417
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxamillionmose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2013 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by rootytoottoot rootytoottoot wrote:

I haven't seen a thread about this yet, but.. anyone else into vintage corduroy?  It certainly has a long, tumultuous (i.e., the 1970s)  history, but it definitely has a place of honor in 19th century workwear/hunting gear, a subject dear to many of our hearts.

I notice that it is much harder to find a cool pair of repro workwear cords than say, a pair of ducks.  I recently saw corduroy pop up in Christophe's Men of the Frontier line.

Does anyone here know of any companies producing quality corduroy items?  Any favorite pieces from the near past?  I dig corduroy 100%






Corduroy is the vintage fabric that is most sentimental to me. I think maybe because I got a lot of hand me down cord jackets from my dad, who wore them as a teen in the 50s.  They are far and away my favorite, most precious pieces. Nothing like navy blue cord on cord.  I'm out of country and away from my stuff til late april, but I will work on posting some of these pieces when I get home
Back to Top
maxamillionmose View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
Avatar

Joined: 03 Jan 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Status: Offline
Points: 1417
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxamillionmose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2013 at 2:58pm
^ oh yeah, and my favorite cords of recent are Beams + cropped cord trousers which were sold at union made last season (not anymore though.) I got myself a pair of those in navy blue during the end of season sale. they came in sizes small, medium, and large... each spanning the usual run of waist sizes and have side cinches to cinch down to your specific size. They came significantly cropped and cuffed and in my opinion, have a great fit.  

I also have kept my eye on the cinch back cords that aero is reproducing and/or stocks:

http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=681

I haven't got any, but at some point I'd like to get a pair in moss green and possibly navy blue too.
Back to Top
rootytoottoot View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
Avatar

Joined: 02 Oct 2012
Location: Franklin, TN
Status: Offline
Points: 679
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rootytoottoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2013 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by Bob Dale Bob Dale wrote:

that jacket is killer!

  I am unfamiliar with whether a true vintage version exists , I wonder if Levis Red or Made and Crafted made what you saw?  I know in years past M&C has done several takes on the type 1 in non-traditional materials.

 

This is a bit of a mash-up, can't tell if its 'no wale' cord.  Obviously the zipper is not historically accurate but maybe this was something kind of like what you saw?

There was a sack coat too -- can't remember if it was cord or just a sort of cotton drill.




Robbie, I'm almost positive this wasn't what I saw... what I saw had a much shorter profile, and only had one pocket.  This is interesting, but I'm ALMOST positive it's not the same jacket.  I actually casually know the guy who was wearing it,  I should try to get his number and ask (though that's a weird, random reason to call someone out of the blue!)
Back to Top
rootytoottoot View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
Avatar

Joined: 02 Oct 2012
Location: Franklin, TN
Status: Offline
Points: 679
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rootytoottoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2013 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by maxamillionmose maxamillionmose wrote:

^ oh yeah, and my favorite cords of recent are Beams + cropped cord trousers which were sold at union made last season (not anymore though.) I got myself a pair of those in navy blue during the end of season sale. they came in sizes small, medium, and large... each spanning the usual run of waist sizes and have side cinches to cinch down to your specific size. They came significantly cropped and cuffed and in my opinion, have a great fit.  

I also have kept my eye on the cinch back cords that aero is reproducing and/or stocks:

http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=681

I haven't got any, but at some point I'd like to get a pair in moss green and possibly navy blue too.

Thanks for that!  and also PLEASE DO post pics of your "sentimental cord collection"!!!  Can't wait
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.031 seconds.