denimbro Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Denimbro > Life aside from denim
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grooming

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 17>
Author
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatpattern Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grooming
    Posted: 15 Jun 2012 at 7:35am
Found a couple of new brands worth talking about.
These guys are great, from the packaging to the product, you get a free comb and a handwritten note, how can you beat that.  It's very reasonably priced and it's made in the U.S.A.  On top of all that it's good!

For all of those moustache twirlers I use Bounders moustache wax, he adds vanilla and bay rum to it so it smells great.  It holds and dries with no sticky mess and its water soluable, best I've found so far.

Anybody else use any other good stuff?
colgems1966 View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote colgems1966 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2012 at 9:03am
   well yes, i have one. tiring after many years of the ridiculously expensive & tacky looking plastic modern razors which they insist of hanging ever more blades on every few years, i ordered a merkur double edge razor a few years back. 
   merkurs are made in germany and well made, look good and will last a lifetime. they offer many models; i chose their copy of the 1904 gilette in the open comb design (no safety bar. gives a very close shave but little room for error) i was very pleased at the appearance and workmanship when i opened the box.
   when i first used it, it very strange and unfamiliar to me. the handle is shorter and the blade angle is entirely different from modern razors. after cutting myself several times and having to shave slow and deliberately, i eventually got used to it and after a couple of years now it is second nature like any razor would be.
   i think our father and grandfathers were really on to something with these quality doublle edge razors. my cost of blades is nothing now, $1 for five blades at the dollar store. i am shaving with something that is attractive and long lasting instead of plastic junk. i get a better shave now than i did with the bulky modern multi blade razors. my merkur cost me about $30 to my door; it quickly paid for itself in what i saved in the cost of blades.
Happy Hooligan View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Happy Hooligan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2012 at 9:45am
I've been using my old gillette adjustable for some years now.

I bought a box of 250 double sided blades for about $50.00 from my local hair supply place.  I've been going on a few years now on that box and still have about a year left....   
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote colgems1966 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2012 at 11:29am
    the savings using double edge blades is remarkable and i'm convinced they shave closer. just shows what a scam all these expensive as hell modern blades are. that's why they come out with new designs with "improvements" every few years. to leave you no options on who you buy the blades from and keep you captive to their high prices. it's unreal what modern design blades cost.
     i have a friend who is a regular guy, not into vintage/retro at all. when he saw the quality of shave i got and how little i paid for blades he wanted one too!
Joseph Hill View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Joseph Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2012 at 7:00pm
I'm sorry, shh shhav sha what?  I have no idea what you guys are talking about.Tongue
Bob Dale View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

GRAIL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Dale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2012 at 10:08pm
I've been using cheap-ass drug store double-edged blades on a gillette I bought in Omaha.  Took me forever to figure out how to change/load the blades.  Finally gave up and googled it and felt like a complete idiot.

My only problem recently has been getting the water hot enough for a good shave.

I used to have a ton of samples of stuff.  Been wanting to try Baxter of California though, a friend has some and he swears by it.

whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote colgems1966 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2012 at 10:31pm
     Bob do what i did, go to your water heater and turn the temp up slightly. be incremental with this though, too hot and you'll burn the hell out of yourself and get a rude suprise when the electric bill comes.
     it is definately worth looking into, modern hot water heaters are set from the factory very low for liability reasons. it only takes a small tweak of the dial to radically improve the hot water situation.
flatpattern View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatpattern Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 9:33am
Thanks for the double edge razor tips, I'm going to give this a go.  I never change my blades until my face starts bleeding and I think "oh I should get a new razor that would probably help"
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colgems1966 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 10:27am
it is well worth trying flatpattern. i get a very good and inexpensive shave. i would just add that you need to go slow at first. vintage style double edge razors feel very different and strange compared to modern razors at first. it will take several weeks for this to pass and you may nick yourself a time or two until it becomes second nature. but after a while it becomes second nature and you won't even think about it.
Shorty Long View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shorty Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2012 at 5:00am
I've tried the aftershave from here...

For hair...baxter of cali pomade

i'm a nancy boy when it comes to shaving...I also like classic shaving's house label sandalwood

and the best "grooming" product out there (in my opinion)...at least when it comes to deodorant is
Aubrey Organic's Men's Stock...natural WITH antiperspirant properties; I won't use anything else

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 17>
  Share Topic