denimbro Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Denimbro > Denimbro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Engineer Boots

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6364656667 112>
Author
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote eastwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 1:38am
I'm doing a trial/ working with a cobbler in the South West (UK) on stitch down and good year resole's and getting the heel shape and height/ balance true to the original. He believes he can do it and his hand welting is very tidy so will show you some pics if I'm happy with the results.
Double 0 Soul View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double 0 Soul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 2:30am
Good stuff, i'll look forward to it.
Maynard Fried-San View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maynard Fried-San Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 2:40am
Shoe Healer in Doncaster may be worth a shout. Their repairs on traditional English shoes and boots are very good apparently, they may be able to transfer these skills to engineer boots.

Edited by Maynard Fried-San - 23 Feb 2017 at 2:58am
Helixing my inner beanie
eastwest View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eastwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 3:17am
I've had some Trickers resoled (not re welted though) by Richard and co at the shoehealer and it was nicely finished. Would be worth a try with a cheaper pair of boots to see how they get on. Hard to beat being able to talk them through what you want in person though so they understand your intensity about the outcome! Doncaster is a jaunt! I am constantly on the search and would love to learn myself but alas as with most people, time is not on my side.

Keep you informed if I get good results. There are 2 Dutch retailers that look have turned out some nice work with the exception of the funky coloured soles. Will post there's names when I can... spell them correctly.
Double 0 Soul View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double 0 Soul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 3:20am
I asked Richard many years ago and it was no dice, i can't seem to remember why, i think it was something to do with the stitch-through on the half sole.
This was a pair of Lone Wolf Mechanic's not engineer boots.
SLAB2 View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SLAB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 3:31am
I had richard resole two pairs of Alden. Both resoles were done very well. I do believe a resole of a White's boot was out of the question because of the double welt stitching.
eastwest View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eastwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 3:48am
That's pretty much what I've discovered. Goodyear (single stitch) is doable by some as they have a sole stitcher that can cope with the thickness we are used to and as long as the mid sole is in tact it's quite straight forward (finish another story) even if not they can be resoled with mid and outer but obviously a bigger job. Stitch down in this country requires hand stitching and then sole stitch which is problematic. Seems too much to take on and the fear of the expense to the customer puts them off even when you say people will pay for the full works.
rayw44 View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rayw44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 6:13am
I was surprised to see complaints about both Brian and HTC. I've had repair and resole work done by both, and have always been happy with the work. Does anyone with a complaint have pics to share of the issues? I'd be interested to see what was off.

As for other recommendations, I'd recommend checking locally if you are hesitant to ship off your boots. There is usually at least one competent cobbler within driving distance in most metro areas, so you may be able to find someone close to home.
volvo View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote volvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 6:23am
I think the Dutch guy you're referring to is Ger Wijsman. He makes amazing resoles.
He resoled two pairs of Trickers for one of my work colleagues and they're quite honestly mind blowing.
I've compared them side by side with my  Trickers resoled by a well known Italian cobbler (way more expensive than Ger, btw!) and with new Trickers. The stitch job looks better even than the factory Tricker's one. He has done engineer boots before, and has access to the full range of Dr Sole products as well as Vibram. This is where my pairs will go the next time i need a resole, White's included.
SLAB2 View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SLAB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 6:30am
I might give this guy a try. He's located in my country and seems legit. He sure does have the equipment to do some decent resoling.
http://www.shoerecrafting.be/en/home.html
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6364656667 112>
  Share Topic