Forum Home Forum Home > Denimbro > Life aside from denim
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Observations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 23>
Author
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Double 0 Soul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 12:29pm
Anything inconspicuous will do mr b, ie- not a Porsche or Range Rover, car designers like to stick chrome vents on there, red brake calipers, huge wheels ect which appeals directly to fuckwits and then complain when their clientele are all footballers or pop stars ruining their carefully orchestrated brand image.

Don't scrap it maynard with all those seats it would be perfect for one of them crash for cash scams.

Your right fellas, Audi's used to be driven by sexually repressed professional types in grey trousers and polo neck sweaters as an alternative to Saab, now its just aggro twats and the repressed architects have moved onto Skoda.

Thanks gents, its genuinely heart warming to hear we're not the only judgemental ones. Thumbs Up

smoothsailor View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smoothsailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 12:35pm
wouldn't mind to drive 1967 porche. I only care a bout cars when it is time for a new one. me old volvo serve's me well.
Driving gets the worst out of me I have to say, a lot of twats in cars
dislectic
Sansome View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sansome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 1:38pm
This is one of a few things- I feel I can be judgmental about- I have over a million miles behind the wheel here in Southern California.
Double 0 Soul View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double 0 Soul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 12:04am
Do any other nations have 'faux-bikers' you'll love these guys.

Bikers around my neck of the woods tend to fall into 3 main catagories

1) Actual bikers who ride/commute in all weathers on weather beaten oftenly nondescript bikes

2) Dead by 40, roadside flowers, Japanese race bike dudes who treat the counties winding roads like a racetrack and who can blame them with names like The Snake Pass.

3) The faux-biker (who was probably a biker momentarily in his youth) paid off the mortgage, kids have left home and bought a Harley-Davidson, shinny shit, leather tassel's, studs, that kind of bollocks but they don't actually ride them instead they choose to spend their Sundays riding to a spa town/biker mecca of yor and park them up all in a line (100's of them) with all of their pathetic 'born again biker' friends.
They take a seat next to their machine at one of the many street cafe's ice-cream parlours or chip shops and bask in its reflected glory, (only in the summer of course) nodding approvingly at passing admiration. These peeps are branded head to toe in Harley merchandise from their cheap made in China boots to their cheap made in China bandanna sometimes they even have a matching wife (that makes my day)
Having spent in excess of £30k on these brand new machines these folks aint hells angels more like accountants or they work for the planning department at the council, y'know proper bad ass mother f***ers thet you wouldn't want to fuck with.
Fair enough if its a show n shine bike show, that's the whole reason for their existence but these folks are actively seeking admiration from the unsuspecting public, their self worth must be at rock bottom. I could understand it to some extent if they had built a bobber/cafe racer or something along those lines but they have gone into the Harley shop and given them a fat cheque. Bravo!
Mr Black View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 1:55am
3) I remember encountering this lot regularly when I was younger. A friend used to work in Dream Cars who would import & restore 50's american cars. As a rolling advert, they'd let him take one out for a cruise around Chelsea/Kings road. We'd all pile in looking like extras from Rebel without a cause and we'd often encounter groups of overweight middle aged top-end professionals on their huge, immaculate harleys, with pristine leathers- jackets always a couple of sizes too big, drinking expensive coffees in one of the many Kings Road coffee bars. We'd swap good natured abuse with them and think how naff they were & that we were so much cooler than they.

4) you're missing out the recentish subset of Bike Shedders/modern gentlemen motorcyclists. These would be the younger brothers or even sons of 3. Rather than working in the city or in accountancy/law, this lot are all graphic or web designers, dot-com start ups, creative types with often beautifully customised bobbers or cafe racers, and probably with a massive BMW tourer or Africa twin tucked away for continental trips. Their uniform is tapered edwins, white soled red wings and pike bros N1's, and/or vintage tweeds for smarter occasions. They generally have immaculately groomed beards and perfect quiffs- though how they keep them so neat under their £400 open faced helmets is beyond me. Beautiful wives and perfect kids with 'interesting names'

I secretly yearn to be accepted by this lot, but my bikes not cool enough and i'm not creative enough.

I'm not quite sure if or where I fit in to the whole scheme of things, or indeed if I even want to. Although i've been riding scooters since my mid-20's, this is my first (working) bike. Do I count as a born-again?

The scooter scene has similar factions

www.sidewinderapparel.co.uk
Maynard Fried-San View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maynard Fried-San Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 2:10am
Very cool Mr B.

I crashed a moped given to me by a mate about 13-14 years ago, cutting my leg, then it was stripped outside my house one night when I wasn't there. I thought I'd scrapped it to a reputable party shortly afterwards but received a speeding ticket (incurred in Tottenham) about 8 years later, which I sorted with the police. I've stayed well clear of the things ever since.

I am not cool
Helixing my inner beanie
HP Sauce View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HP Sauce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 5:59am
Mr. Black, that's a beautiful bike and it looks cool because you are dressed like somebody who is riding it to go somewhere.

Double O, I think the bike thing is global, if only because bike gangs are global.  One particular government agency I worked for used to have a bike culture but the interesting twist was that the employees who rode the coolest bikes were all women.  One of them had a Ducatti customized to accommodate her tiny size and, man, she was fierce on that thing.  There was no posing and no BS, just skilled riding on roads that are not particularly friendly to objects with only two wheels and a (v-word).

I do have a story about biker poseurs, though.  A couple of years ago, I boarded a plane to Calgary with a great deal of trepidation.  Alberta has a strong Hell's chapter and, clearly, a bunch of members were heading out to a meeting there. 

When we all piled on, I seemed to have won the lottery.  I had the window seat and the aisle was taken by a patched member.   Two patches took the seats in front of me, and the two seats on the other side of the plane were  occupied by another set of the be-patched.  And, just in front of these last two was the biggest member of all, sitting on the aisle with a mother and baby sitting by the window.

In fact, every place that didn't have a Hell's Angel seemed to be occupied by a colicky infant.

The funny thing was, I decided to chat up the fellow beside me and it turns out he was a pretty inexperienced flier and really grateful for a little distraction from all the turbulence that comes with flying over bodies of water and mountain ranges. 

Large, bald and wearing nothing on top but a beat-up (and patched) leather vest, the member sitting on the aisle seat beside the mother and baby had stuck his head-set on even before we took off, presumably to drown out all the caterwauling.

That is, of course, against the rules.  In what I would count as one of the bravest acts of professionalism, the extravagantly flamboyant male flight attendant bounced up to Leather Vest, popped out his earphones and sweetly told him to please listen carefully to the safety instructions. 

The weird thing is Leather Vest quietly did what he was told.  Not a peep.  Just screaming babies and attentive bikers.

One last thing of note.  All these Hell's were wearing white trainers.  Which makes your look pretty fierce in my eyes, Mr. Black.

Smile
HP Sauce
Mr Black View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mr Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 6:17am
I was in a pub in camden that I used to drink in, bit of a lively pub. Full of Rockabillies, a few proper skinheads and various derivatives of these incl rockers/bikers, hot-rodders etc. You know the sorts. Anyhoo- a bunch of around 6 big Hells Angels burst in one day, storming through the pub kicking in toilet doors etc looking for a rival gang member (I think it was an Outcast) but didnt find anyone.

The amusing thing was that on leaving, they all squeezed into a tiny Nissan Micra. It was like watching 6 silverbacks trying to fit into a kiddie car Clap

It still tickles me.

the white trainers (converse in this case- 1970's repros of course Wink) on a bike aren't the wisest of ideas but I can't be arsed to carry a spare pair of shoes in to work with me.
Double 0 Soul View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double 0 Soul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 6:35am
If im passing said ice-cream parlour with mini-soul he often wants to stop and who could blame him.
"Daddy, can we get an ice-cream" "No im sorry son all of the seats are taken up with attention whores and other attention whores are waiting for their turn and we only 'want' an ice-cream they need this shit" lets buy one away from the limelight.
Mr Black View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 6:41am
Is this place Matlock by any chance? I was up there a couple of years back and it did seem somewhat full of elderly biker types.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 23>
  Share Topic