denimbro Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Denimbro > Life aside from denim
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Observations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 23>
Author
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spork141 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 5:15am
Originally posted by Maynard Friedman Maynard Friedman wrote:

Spork, I agree that obesity is a problem across the social spectrum globally and not consigned solely to the lower end. I would argue though, that its affects are probably more keenly felt amongst the poorer populace due to a lack of education around exercise, diet and nutrition, plus worse living, environmental and social conditions, things that better-off folk often don't have to deal with.

I think one of the factors that hits the middle classes is that they are so time-poor, often due to work or social pressures (organising and chaperoning hobbies/pastimes/social events for their kids) that they resort to ready/easier meals or takeaways. In addition, we are all swayed by advertising/marketing (that's why it exists after all) and different items are targeted at different sectors of society. We are all ultimately responsible for our own welfare but some of us are better (or worse) equipped to do so, often as a result of education and other socio-economic factors.

Right...I think that's all true. The poor have additional problems that lead to bad eating and exercise. Doesn't help that good food is expensive these days. In addition, the middle class can no longer afford to live on a single salary, so nobody's home slaving day after day on a home cooked meal. It all feeds into a cycle of bad eating. Furthermore the bad eating options are cheap and plentiful for all to enjoy. I remember when I was young the poor used to buy bags of lentils, or rice and beans, since they were the cheap and plentiful. At least that food was nutritious and healthy. Now a days you can get those fat and sugar loaded pre-made dinners for almost nothing. Overall a pretty bad situation.

spork141 View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote spork141 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 5:29am
Originally posted by illumin8em illumin8em wrote:

Originally posted by spork141 spork141 wrote:

And don't even get me started on olive oil. Every time I hear someone mention "but it has healthy fats" someone out there has another heart attack.

yikes! what's wrong with olive oil?

Olive oil (actually most oils) is the most calorie dense food on the planet. 120 calories a tablespoon (all fat). It would be cheaper and healthier to dump ice cream on your salad.

Take a look at the label:   http://s.hswstatic.com/gif/food-oil.jpg

There's nothing at all nutritious about it. Its just pure fat for our bodies to enjoy. Im not saying people shouldn't use it, but they should know the truth about how to use it and when. Doctors actually tell us to use it because it has "good fats". That's like drinking gasoline because it has electrolytes. If you want good fat, eat an avocado. 

If you want someone to blame, please blame the food companies, and the lobbyists in the government.  Here's a great example

http://fanaticcook.blogspot.com/2006/12/pam-is-fat.html

Cooking spray heavily advertises itself as "fat-free", but its actually 100% fat. Its just allowed to round down to 0 because the serving size (spray of .33 seconds) is insignificant enough to warrant reporting fat. So PAm goes ahead and puts "fat free" all over their product, knowing that nobody who uses pam can coat a pan in .33 seconds.

Theres so much more. PM me if you want some stuff to read. Sugar is anther huge problem. Maybe the biggest.

Sorry if this might not translate to the readers on the other side of the pond. I know things might be different over there for the food labels and such.

Sardine View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sardine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 5:47am
So were stuck with Mom's advice: "Eat your veggies" "everything in moderation" as well as the out of school for the summer advice: "go play outside and come back in when the sun goes down"
Double 0 Soul View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double 0 Soul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 6:30am
I caught a similar documentary a year or two ago on the BBC "The Men Who Made Us Fat" Jacques Peretti investigated the folks responsible for revolutionising modern eating habits, what stood out for me was the history behind Americans relationship with corn syrup.
I believe most people who are eating the "wrong foods" know they are having a negative affect on their health but still do it, poorly educated or not nobody is that fucking stupid to plead ignorance.
Maynard Fried-San View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maynard Fried-San Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 6:42am
Was that the documentary where a sorry American family were feeding cheeseburgers to their 1 year old daughter?
Double 0 Soul View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double 0 Soul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 6:56am
You know maynard i think it was, It was a well researched docu over 3 episodes and you know my viewing is sporadic so i only caught segments.

hollows View Drop Down
ADMIN
ADMIN
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hollows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 7:02am
If we're talking about getting fat (as opposed to overall health), it doesn't matter WHAT you eat, as long as you don't eat too much of it.  

The problem is that many of the easy/tasty/cheap everyday foods are now super calorie dense.  People are taking in a lot of calories without "eating" a lot.  A can of Coke (sorry Bob) has as many calories as TEN CUPS of spinach.

And while some right wingers would have you believe that poor people are fat because they're too stupid to take care of themselves (and that's why they're poor in the first place), the truth is a lot more complicated.  But people do like to get mad at poor people for causing their own misery.
topgearskin View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topgearskin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 7:15am
Originally posted by Bob Dale Bob Dale wrote:

There are few feelings greater than facilitating the process by which a 17 month old undergoes metamorphosis and ceases to be a crying mess and becomes a blissful slumbering bundle of beauty.

Had to read that twice before I read "month" and not "year"

I was quite disturbed. Thought you'd gone crazy.

You're right
Kids> other stuff
topgearskin View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote topgearskin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 7:22am
Originally posted by spork141 spork141 wrote:

In addition, the middle class can no longer afford to live on a single salary, so nobody's home slaving day after day on a home cooked meal.

Thats all about choice. Familiies can and do exist on a single salary. I know mine does, and has done for 7 years now. What we did have to do was make choices - like not having a car for a while, not going on foreign holidays, not buying things because we "wanted" them.

We're in a society that encourages people to choose dual income as their lifestyle. Its okay to live on a single salary. The benefits, in my experience, are bigger than that additional salary.
setterman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote setterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 7:33am
Originally posted by Double 0 Soul Double 0 Soul wrote:

Its like regional depression.

It probably is.  All I have to do is look out the window at my corner of PA to know that a regional depression is a real thing.  Here it's driven by dwindling manufacturing, and lack of sun (we're very near the top when it comes to least number of sunny days per year in the US).  You live a miserable life doing a repetitive, mind numbing job, and things like alcohol, tobacco, and salty, fatty foods give fleeting pleasure.  Unfortunately these things in the long run add to the depression you're attempting to medicate in the first place, and throw some obesity on top of it.  

I got a rocket in my pocket and roll in my jeans
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 23>
  Share Topic