Forum Home Forum Home > Denimbro > Life aside from denim
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Observations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 23>
Author
whiskered
whiskered

GRAIL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Bob Dale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Observations
    Posted: 10 Jun 2014 at 3:46pm
A thread for social commentary, thoughts, et cetera.

I'll kick things off --

Laughing gas is a lot of fun.

Mr Black View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2014 at 12:35am
It's hard to keep a straight face with that stuff.
www.sidewinderapparel.co.uk
Bob Dale View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

GRAIL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Dale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2014 at 8:11pm
There are few feelings greater than facilitating the process by which a 17 month old undergoes metamorphosis and ceases to be a crying mess and becomes a blissful slumbering bundle of beauty.
Double 0 Soul View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double 0 Soul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 1:35am
I visited Hull yesterday for the first time and was quite alarmed to find obesity at epidemic proportions. What appeared like a large majority of folks 30-50 who's demographic 2 decades earlier would have been fit and healthy now shuffle slovenly in their "sports wear" with the aid of NHS walking sticks.
Strange how a community can become overwhelmingly obese? Other cities i have visited nearby York, Harrogate ect don't suffer the same problem. Im not sold on the spiel that lack of education/employment/opportunity relates to folks shoveling copious amounts of fatty, sugary processed foods into their cake holes. Even if processed foods are low cost why eat so much of it?  Its like regional depression. I was mulling it over in the car on the way home...
Maynard Fried-San View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Maynard Fried-San Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 3:02am
Consider the different demographic structures within towns/cities such as Harrogate/York and Hull. The former are smaller, more educated and middle-class (York is basically a large town with a cathedral), less dependent and therefore less affected by the collapse of traditional, heavier industries, which has seen a more sedentary lifestyle imposed upon a once active working class population. In combination with the rise of junk/fast food from the 1970s/80s, culminating in the 'chicken shop children' commonplace today, this has taken a heavy toll. Additional factors such as the downgrading of physical exercise in schools, the increase in computer games, lack of trust at letting children play outside independently (fear of paedophiles, plus the general breakdown of communities and the associated trust held within), the 'now' culture (why bother cooking when I can buy something cheaply and enjoy it immediately, I'd rather watch TV). Given that all these factors are likely to affect the less educated more than their middle class counterparts, throw in the devastating health-effects that a poor, junk-food diet has (please don't underestimate this - watch Morgan Spurlock's 'Super Size Me' for some empirical evidence, it really is no surprise at all.
Bootsen View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bootsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 3:20am
Maynard, stop making complete sense.
Mr Black View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 3:23am
Yep- this is most irregular.
www.sidewinderapparel.co.uk
spork141 View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spork141 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 3:50am
Originally posted by Maynard Friedman Maynard Friedman wrote:

Consider the different demographic structures within towns/cities such as Harrogate/York and Hull. The former are smaller, more educated and middle-class (York is basically a large town with a cathedral), less dependent and therefore less affected by the collapse of traditional, heavier industries, which has seen a more sedentary lifestyle imposed upon a once active working class population. In combination with the rise of junk/fast food from the 1970s/80s, culminating in the 'chicken shop children' commonplace today, this has taken a heavy toll. Additional factors such as the downgrading of physical exercise in schools, the increase in computer games, lack of trust at letting children play outside independently (fear of paedophiles, plus the general breakdown of communities and the associated trust held within), the 'now' culture (why bother cooking when I can buy something cheaply and enjoy it immediately, I'd rather watch TV). Given that all these factors are likely to affect the less educated more than their middle class counterparts, throw in the devastating health-effects that a poor, junk-food diet has (please don't underestimate this - watch Morgan Spurlock's 'Super Size Me' for some empirical evidence, it really is no surprise at all.

All excellent points. I would argue, however, that being poorly educated is a driving factor to obesity. Even the well educated are misinformed on food. You can thank the mostly evil food industry for this misinformation, in combination with our general lack of understanding of "food addiction", and how it effects all of us to some degree. The more and more the food industry moves toward processed packaged foods, the worse and worse it gets. You can slap a "low fat" / "low sugar" label on anything, but in reality that "healthy" cereal, or "natural" juice you find in the super market might as well be options on a fast food dollar menu. And don't even get me started on olive oil. Every time I hear someone mention "but it has healthy fats" someone out there has another heart attack.

Im sure being poor makes it worse since good natural whole foods are much more expensive, but I still find, in the US at least, that the problems mentioned above are just as prevalent in people who are well-off. 
illumin8em View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote illumin8em Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 4:28am
Originally posted by spork141 spork141 wrote:

And don't even get me started on olive oil. Every time I hear someone mention "but it has healthy fats" someone out there has another heart attack.

yikes! what's wrong with olive oil?
Maynard Fried-San View Drop Down
whiskered
whiskered
anonymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Maynard Fried-San Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 4:52am
Spork, I agree that obesity is a problem across the social spectrum globally and not consigned solely to the lower end. I would argue though, that its affects are probably more keenly felt amongst the poorer populace due to a lack of education around exercise, diet and nutrition, plus worse living, environmental and social conditions, things that better-off folk often don't have to deal with.

I think one of the factors that hits the middle classes is that they are so time-poor, often due to work or social pressures (organising and chaperoning hobbies/pastimes/social events for their kids) that they resort to ready/easier meals or takeaways. In addition, we are all swayed by advertising/marketing (that's why it exists after all) and different items are targeted at different sectors of society. We are all ultimately responsible for our own welfare but some of us are better (or worse) equipped to do so, often as a result of education and other socio-economic factors.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 23>
  Share Topic